Pulled over in Wisconsin again.

GoldenMotor.com

Bubba-1

Aug 12, 2011
Wisconsin
It's been a year & a half so I guess I was due for it. laff

I got pulled over today on my way home from the doctors office. First thing out of his mouth was "That's a moped, right?" I said "NO, it's a Motor-Bicycle." And to his surprise I whipped out my copies of the state statutes governing the definition of a Motor-Bicycle & the legality of operating them on the roadway just like any other bicycle. He said something like "Wow, you're prepared with all of this." I explained to him that I was pulled over a year & a half ago and had forgotten to bring them with & had to spend 20 minutes going through the statutes book with the other officer. He took my license & my copies of the statutes & called it in & then spent 10 minutes going through the statute book in his car trying to find a way to give me a ticket. There was no way. I am 100% legal under the law. Then he said he would type up the report and send it to the city attorney & see what he says. He explained that they (the Officers) were instructed to go after anybody riding those little scooters down the sidewalk or in the rode. I told him that I agreed with that, I've seen kids almost take out mothers pushing strollers on those things, but this is a Motor-Bicycle. He told me that he doesn't agree with the law & he doesn't think that the public should be allowed to ride Motor-Bicycles around on the street, & that he would get back to me with the info from the city attorney. I told him no problem, I would like to know exactly what the city attorney says so please get back to me & let me know. I doubt that I will ever hear from him again. I never heard back from the other Officer a year & a half ago. The irony of all of this is that I ride by the Police Station at least once a month. One thing that they all have in common is that they all seem genuinely interested in the bicycle itself. They always have that grin when they start looking it over.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
"He told me that he doesn't agree with the law & he doesn't think that the public should be allowed to ride Motor-Bicycles around on the street"

Isn't that the root of the problem... "He" doesn't agree with the law, "He" doesn't want to allow you to ride.... "He" doesn't make the law, he is supposed to enforce the law, that's why they call them "Law Enforcement Officers".... but some cops get inflated ego's and think they are "THE" law and decide on their own what is right and wrong. I'm glad you had it together and presented him the FACTS as they are dictated by the LAW, not the LEO.... Good job!

Bubba-1

Aug 12, 2011
Wisconsin
He learned something new today.
I think the real problem is that most people have such big egos that they can't admit when they're wrong. That's all this boiled down to today. That whole "check with the city attorney" thing was him trying to cover up the fact that he was wrong. He was as nice as could be though, other than that.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Ain't it a cryin' shame, though? Here we've got something that liberates us from being a prisoner of the automobile like everyone else. Stuck in the stupid thing everyday. Reliant on it. Helpless, or nearly so, when it's being fixed.

We've gotten out from under that. And people, including occasional LEOs, want to take it away from us. Why? The real reason is that they're just too selfish to share the road.

And sharing the road is not so hard anyway. It's disgusting.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
If he pulled me over and said that he doesn't agree with the laws, that he swore an oath to uphold, I would have told him that maybe he needs to look for a new line of work, or maybe apply for the Mexican Police Department. I hear they have quiet a few openings down there. LMAO

JUGGALO

Sep 25, 2013
Marinette, Wi
Just keep in mind that the city can put an ordnance in place over it but i would call and talk to the chief of police or the DA. Get the word from the top of the ladder!!

glh290

Feb 22, 2015
Michigan
I have a question, where can I find these laws to print out? I have a opportunity to move to Wisconsin, and have a friend who can provide me with a engine and help me get it installed. So I would like to be prepared, with accurate printed information, the stuff on the forum seems like from 2008-2010. Also what requirements are there.

EDIT: I totally revived a old thread, I am sorry but any direction to point me in is appreciated.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
I have a question, where can I find these laws to print out? I have a opportunity to move to Wisconsin, and have a friend who can provide me with a engine and help me get it installed. So I would like to be prepared, with accurate printed information, the stuff on the forum seems like from 2008-2010. Also what requirements are there.

EDIT: I totally revived a old thread, I am sorry but any direction to point me in is appreciated.

Call your local Sheriff.

He (or she) works for you, not the city, county, state or fed.

Also- If you are able to determine that your Sheriff stands behind their oath to the Constitution, ask how you may best support them.

Good luck!

Catfisher

Apr 10, 2010
Heart of Illinois
.flg.

It does not always help to talk to the city or a states attorney. I posted at length a few years ago my very disappointing experience with the court system here in central Illinois.

I made a mistake and got a DUI driving my car and lost my license; totally my fault, no accident - I parked crooked and was seen inebriated. Months later, after taking all of the classes required and receiving counselling I made my final appearance before the judge. He was friendly, congratulated me on my excellent rehab class and counselor scores and said he didn't have to see me again. My license would still be revoked for a long time, so I asked if I could ask him a question.

I told the judge that the State of Illinois had removed the requirement of having a drivers license from the statutes on a MB. The state requires you to be at least 16 years old, have an engine of no more than 1 HP and the MB cannot exceed 20 mph on a level surface with a 170 lb rider. That's basically the law on IL MB's.

Because I cannot operate a Motor Vehicle under IL law, I was (and still am) concerned about being arrested on a MB. I reminded the judge that IL law specifically excludes motorized bicycles from being a motor vehicle. I asked the judge if I could ride a MB. The judge turned to the State's Attorney and said "What do you think?" The States Attorney said "I don't know, we will have to see about that if the police give him a ticket".

I still do not understand how, as a citizen, I can ask a Judge in court if what I want to do will break the law and he does not have to give me an answer! I can't afford to wait and see if I get arrested.

It's all a power trip and a joke to the Judges, States Attorneys and most of the Police. They feed their egos and fill their wallets, but they won't rule on what the law is; or commit to enforcing the law as the legislature has written it.

:confused::confused::confused:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I'm not sure I'd judge them all that harshly, catfisher. This just isn't their area of expertise. And even they shouldn't be expected to know every twist on every law by heart. They were probably sympathetic to you and, in their own opinions, thought that an MB was a good idea for you under the circumstances. They probably just didn't feel that they should say, "Sure! You're fine!" only to find out that maybe they were wrong about that.

Now I did mention, "this isn't their area of expertise". But I suppose this was a traffic court, wasn't it? So perhaps this is their turf. Still, MBs are an obscure item even to them.

Individual policeman are who you really need to worry about, of course. And I've found no hostility from the police. I'm getting to be a bit of a veteran with these things. Eight years now of various motors. If the cops were hostile, I think I'd have picked up on that by now.

Every now and then you'll hear know-nothings say they confiscate those bikes in the next town over. Or something like that. They're making it up.

No one would doubt your right to ride a pedal bicycle. The law recognizes these as the same thing. If I'm ever pulled over and the LEO involved claims that this is an illegal moped, then I'm just going to say, "Look officer, I know it's not for me to be teaching you the law. But I believe you're mistaken. The Illinois Vehicle Code clearly recognizes these as nothing more than bicycles. I can give you the section numbers, if you'd like".

That might even get me out of the ticket. Though probably not. But I'll go to court feeling pretty certain of winning. Or that the officer won't show up.

If I were you, I'd just go ahead and ride. Ride it like your grandfather would ride it. Give the police, and other traffic, that body language that says, "I'm not looking for trouble. I'll be good" and you ought to do just fine. (This is good advice for any type of vehicle, by the way. I drive my car like that.)

Also, I notice that you're somewhere in our neighborhood. You ought to have a look at this thread.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=58332

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal

Might try starting here;
http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/sea...&filter=biennium:2015&filter=doctype:statutes