Grief Avoidance in OC, CA

GoldenMotor.com

PoorBoy

May 31, 2014
CA
Thanks guys for your patience and your wisdom. I have finished my 2 MBs and have only been riding them close in the neighborhood to avoid grief with the law.
I have a M1 license, DOT helmet, issued plates from the state, front and rear lights on the bikes and that is it. If I understand correctly, left mirror, horn and brake light are the only missing items. Is this correct?

For those of you that regularly ride distances, and happened to be stopped, does the cop verify all items? Do they focus on certain things and look the other way on others?

I live not to far from Donut Derelicts and would enjoy the 4 mile ride there on the bike rather than the car but not if I get hassled.

I appreciate all your insight and time should you reply.

Tom

PoorBoy

May 31, 2014
CA
Thanks Trey and thanks Neil. Out for some fun and to get the bikes ready for some summer riding.

I am seeing more and more MBs out in the neighborhood and most have been very respectful of noise and speed giving a good impression. Nice!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
you have the major stuff covered. plate, helmet and M1 (or M2or permit) are what most cops are lookuing for, if they're looking at all.

the only city i've ever been ticketed in, stopped in, or hasseled in was newport beach. and that waa before i was "legal." the main cop there was officer darking, and he had a real hardon for illegal bikes. once i had mine registered, he was always cool with me and would stop just to chat.

the horn, mirror and brake light are all required, but can only be equipment violations( fixit tickets) if your bike's registered.

and you gotta get pulled over by a real jerk if he writes you up for that.

according to cops i've talked to, they can only impound your bike if it's unregistered or used in a crime. even if you don't have an M license yourself.

i've been to donut derelicts many times on many bikes and the one time i saw a cop hassling people it was for the idiots who light up the tires on their fancy jalopys leaving the parking lot.

come on down and say hi to me, dale, and the rest of us... :)

PoorBoy

May 31, 2014
CA
Bairdco,

Thanks for the insight. Being in Costa Mesa, the cops here seem to be alright with the bikes. And I have heard "stories" about NB and some in HB. Just want to be prepared for whatever. I hope to meet you soon at DD and others too. Realize though my bike is not the show quality of many of the bikes I see here.

Tom

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i lived in costa mesa for 3 years with my bike as my only transportation. i rode it everywhere, everyday. i was stopped once for drafting a box van down newport blvd at 50mph. the cop let me go 'cause he didn't know what to bust me for. mostly just scolded me.

i've ridden side by side with motorcycle cops, getting thumbs ups all the way.

my bikes were fast enough to keep up with traffic and i rarely rode in the bike lane. only did on certain streets where every car was speeding.

all my personal bikes were registered, had my permit, dot helmet, lights and a mirror. only one had a working brake light, and i had a bell on one. which surprisingly, was legal to use for a horn. i proved that with a decibal meter app i had on my phone.

my mirrors were custom made from small blindspot stickon mirrors from pepboys. during one of my chats with officer Darling, he said my mirror was too small. i said, "i saw you coming, didn't i?" :)

my experience with CM cops have always been good, as long as you have a plate and helmet. and don't ride like an idiot. obey the laws and they left me alone.

i rode around newport on a fresh built bike with no plate one 4th of july. got flagged down and yelled at by a cop standing on pch directing traffic, so i went home and came back on my "legal" bike and purposely rode up to him again. he gave me the angry cop stare but didn't do anything.

i can't promise that you'll never get hasselled, but if you have the basics and don't piss off the cop, you'll probably be fine...

PoorBoy

May 31, 2014
CA
Dale,

LOL that is a great reply! You all have given me great insight as to what and what not to expect. Wisdom and experience is most valuable to all. Hope to make it to DD in the next week or two and meet those there.

Thank you, Tom