florida?legal or not?

GoldenMotor.com

RonB

Jan 30, 2011
Largo florida
It all comes down to reasonable people understanding what defines a motorvehicle. That definition excludes All bicycles. A bicycle is defined as among other things Any "device" generally recognized as a bicycle. That is very broad. Since the bicycle I bought from Target was manufactured as a bicycle it is a bicycle and cannot be redefined simply by adding a motor to it. A bicycle is allowed to be operated on public roads, no tag, no liscence. The fact that it has a motor does not change its definition since Any device is what is described. Its true that the cops can do what they want, and its a hassel for sure. The intimidation is designed to get people to comply with the law and it probably will save someones life so they think its worth it. All you can do is be courteous to the officer, accept the ticket and plead your case in court if it comes to that. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.
Well put picklefish" I was thinking more on the question of not being legal on public streets, and cannot help but think that i have seen this cop that ticketed me for having a motor vehicle on the sidewalk several times since and he has seen me operate it on the street and yet did nothing! go figure?

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
Police officers have alot of lattitude as to what they have to do. Most seasoned officers are looking out for public safety. I would say unless pressured by their supervisors most officers would rather not do the paperwork or spend their off day in traffic court over this issue. Im scared to be honest. my liscence is suspended tommorow and even though I believe I am in the right, Ive been wrong before. Lol. Heck what else am I gonna do with my time?

RonB

Jan 30, 2011
Largo florida
Police officers have alot of lattitude as to what they have to do. Most seasoned officers are looking out for public safety. I would say unless pressured by their supervisors most officers would rather not do the paperwork or spend their off day in traffic court over this issue. Im scared to be honest. my liscence is suspended tommorow and even though I believe I am in the right, Ive been wrong before. Lol. Heck what else am I gonna do with my time?
I do not why your license is suspended but if i were in your shoes Based on what i know i think i would look to an electric bike? seems there are no issues with them?

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
Electric bikes are waaaay too expensive. They go unnoticed because of the lack of engine noise. Im stuck. Liscence is related to a child support issue, lack of payment. I have a hearing date mid april to get it reversed. Go Legal system!

RonB

Jan 30, 2011
Largo florida
Electric bikes are waaaay too expensive. They go unnoticed because of the lack of engine noise. Im stuck. Liscence is related to a child support issue, lack of payment. I have a hearing date mid april to get it reversed. Go Legal system!
The Izip is not much more expensive than a gas bike" they can be purchased thru the walmart,target websites for the best price. I would like to ask the judge how suspending my drivers license is going help me NOT to get to and from work to pay for child support???

Last edited:

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
I went to the C.S. office to sign an agreement to repay arrears to avoid suspension. They wanted 800 bucks as a down payment and a grand each month after till repayed. I was like you all are crazy! But, they wouldnt budge. So for now, im stuck. I looked on the target website and searched but didnt find the Izip bike, just the pack that holds the batteries. weird.

ritchierich888

Jan 7, 2013
Naples,fl
I have Ben riding in Naples fl for 4 yeas on a gas b bike because I don't have a licen and was just arrested for DWLSR spent the knight in jail go to 24 hr cort the juge RORs me that's never happen have to pay 287 to get my bike back so 3 weaks go by I get a phone call mr Bevins yes your case has Ben drop I now ride electric

RonB

Jan 30, 2011
Largo florida
I have Ben riding in Naples fl for 4 yeas on a gas b bike because I don't have a licen and was just arrested for DWLSR spent the knight in jail go to 24 hr cort the juge RORs me that's never happen have to pay 287 to get my bike back so 3 weaks go by I get a phone call mr Bevins yes your case has Ben drop I now ride electric
I just got around to seeing your post" Your situation has been the problem all along, until their is clear legislation we are all at the mercy of jack ass cops. have you thought about filling a small claim against this police dept for your cost? everyone needs to do this to let them know we will not stand for it!

johncy7

Mar 11, 2012
n/a
so what ever happened in your case? what is your case #?
I got my first warning in 1 1/2 years the other day. The office said my bicycle is a motor vehicle when I put an engine on it, contrary to the DMV TL-10 document.

John

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL

johncy7

Mar 11, 2012
n/a
the only thing that really matters right now is the results from Ron's court case. There was only one other that I know of "Jesse James" and he won it. If Ron wins his, then any officer thinking about writing a ticket will think again because this whole thing is rediculous. It's a bicycle with a small motor, go fight crime or do something useful for crying out loud.
oh, the same cop told me that the kick-n-go and skateboards with motors are also unregistered motor vehicles. I think he was too embarrassed to write a ticket after saying that...