Reliable Cheap Mountain/Cruiser bike to use?

GoldenMotor.com

J0sh

Jan 12, 2014
Calfiornia
I am looking for a good, strong, sturdy, reliable bike to use for building a motor bike, my budget is $300, I was going to buy a great bike off of craigslist for $60 but it got sold, I am now looking for one that is sold from an actual retailer (walmart,target,etc.) I know there won't be many out there since most of the frames on them aren't strong enough but if there is one you used or one you think will work I would like to know! Thanks :)

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Keep searching for an old Trek, Specialized or the like on Craigslist. Since you live in Cali that will be easier for you to do than me.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yup, keep looking. Ya gotta be fast too, the good ones are gone soon.

I got my Worksman off Craigs list for $75. Just called and said I'll be right over. Asking price too, didn't haggle just paid and packed it up - :)

J0sh

Jan 12, 2014
Calfiornia
Yup, keep looking. Ya gotta be fast too, the good ones are gone soon.

I got my Worksman off Craigs list for $75. Just called and said I'll be right over. Asking price too, didn't haggle just paid and packed it up - :)
How do you think a nishiki colorado mountain bike hybrid would do?

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
It all depends on what kind of kit you're using, if you're doing an inframe 2-stroke then make sure the down-tube and seat-tube are circular, and not a weird triangular/other shape, otherwise you will have LOTS of trouble securely/safely mounting your 2-stroke engine.

If it's some kind of kit where it attaches to the reare wheel (friction, belt, chain) then you have to make sure there are dropouts and the seat stays are a good shape to mount your engine.

J0sh

Jan 12, 2014
Calfiornia
I would be using a normal 2 stroke (inframe) and I would be putting it on a mountain bike, pictures below

(There seems to be a lot of rust on the handlebars on picture below)

(The picture below is of another bike that might work)

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
Yeah that looks like it could work -- but make sure the bike is stable (no rusty spokes that can break at any moment, especially since your sprocket will bepulling on those spokes). I hope it's in better condition than it looks :D

J0sh

Jan 12, 2014
Calfiornia
Yeah that looks like it could work -- but make sure the bike is stable (no rusty spokes that can break at any moment, especially since your sprocket will bepulling on those spokes). I hope it's in better condition than it looks :D
I like this one more, I just found it

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Some of the older hardtailed Diamondback mountain bikes are good choices. Just make sure you have enough room for an engine before you pull the trigger. Good for upgrading a shift kit.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Having a look at the first photo its fitted with one of the talking speedo's that has an alarm , mine used to set off at random times and in a loud computerised voice would say " BIKE STOLEN , BIKE STOLEN , the looks I used to get were priceless

Looks like a good bike to Fit a chinagirl