funky brake lever!

GoldenMotor.com

kitesrfun1

Jun 12, 2013
california
Hi guys,
I've got a motorcycle brake light lever and a handlebar switch on my ride. I've got most of it wired and running, but instead of the brake light going on when I squeeze the brake lever, it goes out. Then of course, the brake light goes on when the lever is released and makes contact with it's momentary switch. I'm not using any LEDs and my brake light has a red and black wire. Also, I haven't been able to use my switch for the brake and headlight, but only my 4 turn signals. I'm thinking I need an additional 12v battery.

This is my first bike and attempt to do any electrical work, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
zpt

heres some photos of the gear and this schematic i've been going by:

Attachments

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
You have a momentary off switch which breaks the circuit to light the lamp when the lever is pulled.
You need a momentary on switch which completes the circuit when the lever is pulled.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Maniac 57's advice is correct but I have some questions too.

Are you using a dual filiment lamp for turn and brake lights or two separate lamps?

Your diagram doesn't show how you have the brake lights wired. That would help. Do you have an ohm meter? To see what kind of switch is in the handlebar lever, either normally open or normally closed you need to test it with a meter.

I can't understand why any motorcycle brake lever would have a normally closed switch. Are you sure that wasn't a clutch lever from a motorcycle and the switch did something else on the original bike?

Tom

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Maniac 57's advice is correct but I have some questions too.

Are you using a dual filiment lamp for turn and brake lights or two separate lamps?

Your diagram doesn't show how you have the brake lights wired. That would help. Do you have an ohm meter? To see what kind of switch is in the handlebar lever, either normally open or normally closed you need to test it with a meter.

I can't understand why any motorcycle brake lever would have a normally closed switch. Are you sure that wasn't a clutch lever from a motorcycle and the switch did something else on the original bike?

Tom
That's what I was thinking 2door, like a starter interlock switch to prevent cranking unless the lever is pulled.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
not a common switch, but *may* be a normal switch wired wrong so that it shorts the battery to ground (killing lights) when pulled

kitesrfun1

Jun 12, 2013
california
Thanks a lot For your responses everyone!

Maniac, my break light and turn signals are all separate lights. I have 2 rear turn signals, 2 front signals, 1 headlight, and 1 rear light. I'll have to draw up a diagram of my own, I just tried to add a break light and headlight to the pictured diagram, but I don't think the little 12v batt can handle all of them.

Here's the actual brake lever I bought and some info on it:
http://www.pccmotor.com/lebrlehascmo.html
Oops it's a safety switch?

So does this mean I just need to get a different lever? I guess I'll have to do some research on this site. I'm not sure If I could find out If they're momentary on/off switches on the site though.

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
'safety switch' sure sounds backwards from 'brake light switch'

many times, the switch is removable so you could just get the right one to put in there

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Yes. I'd investigate and see if the switch itself is replaceable before getting a new lever.
Radio Shack or similar stores might have the switch you need cheaper than a new lever.

kitesrfun1

Jun 12, 2013
california

kitesrfun1

Jun 12, 2013
california
That eBay switch makes sense to me because the spring appears to attach to the pull
Lever somewhere (drill a tiny hole?) so the button is activated when pulled. Am I close?
Thanks in advance!

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
you want the same kind of switch as in your car door (only much smaller to fit the lever)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
So something like this ebay switch?

Can anyone please confirm this before I pop on it?
thanks
We need to know if it 'normally open' or 'normally closed' before we can say.

Normally open means the contacts are open (nothing works) until you do something like move a lever or push a button.

Normally closed means things happen until you do something. Move a lever or push a button to stop whatever is happening.

Open and closed refer to the contacts in a switch. For a brake light you'll want normally open. That means the light doesn't work until you put the brakes on (move a lever).

I hope that helps.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The electrical rating of the switch you have exceeds what you're doing with it. You're good to go.
Let us know how it works for you.

Tom

Len455

Mar 11, 2012
Phoenix az
I'm probably to late but what he has is fine for his application. On a motorcycle that switch would go to a relay. If he puts in a relay somewhere in the middle he should be able to get it to work just fine. It's how I made my keyed ignition on my bike work with a 4 stroke.