homemade kill switch

GoldenMotor.com

babo

Dec 21, 2012
CAN
hey guys, wondering how I can make, and wire a killswitch for a non-kit build.

I have some switches laying around like a single household light switch, so how would I set this up?

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Easy. One side goes to frame or engine block. Other side goes to coil or sparkplug.

Even seen an old lawnmower engine? The kill "switch" is a metal bracket straight to the sparkplug terminal.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I just built a non-kit cruiser build with a minibike engine, using an ht kit throttle grip to an external throttle linkage (not that that matters). I wanted a clean build, so I used the killswitch built into the kit throttle. The engine had its own killswitch, but it was attached to the engine and I needed the switch on the handlebars in case of emergency. I disconnected the engine's built in killswitch from the ignition and attached a wire from the kit switch. I grounded the other wire from the kit switch to the engine, and it works just fine. Been running it since I built the bike almost 3 months ago. You can use a light switch if you want, but it wont look too nice and will probably be difficult to mount on the bars, which is really where the killswitch should be in case of emergency. Order a kit throttle setup with a killswitch built in and you'll have a perfectly safe and clean looking killswitch.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Grounding the sparkplug to the frame might give you an unpleasant surprise the first time to use it.

To give you accurate information we'd need to know a little more information about the ignition system on the engine you're using. What engine? What did it come from? Chain saw? Weed Whacker? Snow Blower? Did it have a kill switch originally?

Whatever, a kill switch is a good safety feature to have. It needs to be located where it is easily reached without taking your hands off the bars.

Tom