Arrow on top of piston.....

GoldenMotor.com

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
When I put my piston back in, how do I want the arrow pointing????

I know I saw it in a thread, but cant find it......

BGF 66

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
When I put my piston back in, how do I want the arrow pointing????

I know I saw it in a thread, but cant find it......
Arrow faces forward towards the exhaust but the
main indicator is the 2 pins in the ring grooves that
face towards the intake port.

Make very sure that the ends of the rings are around
the pins or you will break them.

Last edited:

Matricon

Jul 18, 2012
Baltimore
Make very sure that the ends of the rings are around
the pins or you will break them.
Sorry for the Hijack but is it normal that the you can rotate the piston rings all the way around with your fingers or does it mean those pins are broken/missing?

Never mind, from Norms teardown pics it looked like it was an actual pin, in my engine its just a tiny protrusion inside the ring slot. I could only see it under lamp light. Needless to say I was able to put it back in the cylinder. Crisis averted.

Last edited:

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
Another question... When I put it all back together should I use some sealant??? I have some rtv copper silicon gasket maker but it says dont use on head gaskets because of gas.......

Put it together dry and hope for no leaks?????

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
without new gaskets it will leak copper RVT might work i dont know if black RVT can take the heat or i would say use that because its oil and gas resistant

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Read the label of any product you plan to use. Most silicone based sealers are not gasoline resistant. The label will say that.
You'd be better off replacing the head and base gaskets than relying on sealers, then torque the fasteners correctly. 120 to 150 inch pounds for the nuts on the cylinder/head studs.

Tom

Tom

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
gasket paper isnt expensive for the base gasket, and in a pinch you can make a head gasket out of a soda can.
This is sound advice. When using gaskets other than stock, be sure to check for piston clearance. Using a thinner material will bring the head down closer to the piston.