how to make an intake gasket

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
a lot of people still have no idea how to make a gasket, so i'll walk you through my method.

warning to you smart guys. this is waaay over-simplified. :)

materials needed:

-grey compressed gasket material: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Mr-Gasket-12-x-18-x-1-16-in-compressed-gasket-material-sheet/_/N-25w7?itemIdentifier=106916_0_0_
(this can be found at any autoparts store for under 10 bucks and is enough for plenty-o-gaskets...)

-masking tape (wide enough to cover the intake port)

-Sharpie (any pen or pencil will work, i just like Sharpies.)

-Xacto Knife. (sharper the better. Stanley utility knives don't work as good, the blade's too thick, and doesn't cut round corners well.)

-scissors

-5/16 bolt

-Hammer

-Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket (optional) http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/1186509/

Last edited:

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
-step one: remove the studs from the intake port on the engine.

thread 2 nuts onto the stud and tighten them against themselves. with the wrench on the nut closest to the engine, turn the wrench counter clockwise and the stud will come out.

to replace stud, put the wrench on the nut furthest from the engine and turn clockwise till it stops.

-step two: apply a strip of masking tape over the intake port, making sure it covers the entire mounting surface. probably have to clean off all the oily fuel mixture so the tape sticks, first. (picture 1)

-step 3: rub your dirty finger over the tape. the dirt on your finger will give an outline of the flange. (picture 2)

-step 4: peel the tape off and stick it onto a small piece of the gasket material. trace the dirty outline with a sharpie. (picture 3)

(note: DO NOT rub the tape on, just make sure it sticks.if you press the tape on too much, it'll remove chunks of the gasket material when you peel it off later.)

step 5: punch the holes. (pictures 4-5)

for this, i use a 5/16 bolt and a hammer. most bolts have a small, recessed area at the ends of the threads. this works great for a punch. it'll wear flat from smashing it with a hammer after a while, so i drill into the end a little bit to sharpen it up.

a smooth concrete or metal surface works great. wood doesn't. line up the bolt and give it a few whacks with a hammer and it'll pop out a perfect hole. (usually.)

Attachments

Last edited:

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
picture 6 shows the perfect hole.

-step 7: cut out the port-hole with an exacto knife. (picture 7)

-step 8: cut out the gasket shape with scissors. (picture 8)

i usually go about 1/16" larger than the actual outline.

-step 9: match the gasket up to the engine and make sure the holes line up, and the port hole is fully uncovered. (not pictured.)

-step 10: remove the masking tape slowly, and spray both sides with Permatex Spray-A-Gasket. (picture 9)

this is optional. most bikes i just slap the gasket on and go. but i happened to have a couple of cans of this stuff laying around, so i use it. it's much cleaner than using any other silicone, and works well. it also makes the gasket tacky and stick to the flange while you're putting it all togather.

-step 11: put the studs back in (if you're using them. i use allen bolts,) and you're ready to mount the intake and everything else...

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just a suggestion 'cause Baird's 'bolt' idea works too.
But, a 5/16 ball bearing can be subsituted for a bolt. Lay the bearing on the marked hole and hit it with a hammer. It will cut a nice littlle hole in the gasket material as long as you have a solid backing surface. A piece of steel with a 5/16" hole drilled in it will suffice.
They also make/sell gasket punches that will cut both the bolt holes and the one for the intake. Just offering.

Tom

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I used a (leather?) hole punch I bought at Marc's for .99 for the mounting stud holes.
You can also use a piece of metal tubing as a punch, just sharpen the inside with an exacto knife- just stick the knife in until the blade touches and turn the tubing a couple of times.