Anti Rotation pins and other noob questions

GoldenMotor.com

Matricon

Jul 18, 2012
Baltimore
Do these anti rotation pins fall out or are they attached to the piston somehow? ive been trying to reinsert the piston into the cylinder but i just cant doit. the rings dont seem to be compressing enough to slide it in. any advice? also i cant seem to lift the jug completely off the studs, it went up with ease most of the way but wont budge now that the studs are about an inch deep from the top. i was trying to get a good look at the crankcase like it is recommended but I couldnt get it to lift anymore, i then tried to reinsert the piston leading to this mess. do the 2 screws at the top of the crankcase have anything to do with it? i got one out but the other is frozen in there. sorry for all these noob questions.

Matricon

Jul 18, 2012
Baltimore
The guy I got it from let it sit outside for 4 months so I wanted to get a good look inside the engine to see what was in it. He ran it a little rich judging from the buildup on the cylinder head and there is some very light scoring on the piston and cylinder. After VERY carefully examining the piston i found little protrusions in the slot the rings go in. I rotated the rings around so the protrusion is in between the ring gaps and voila it slid right in! I'm still having trouble moving the cylinder jug back down the studs though. Is it acceptable to use a rubber mallet to force it back down?

Matricon

Jul 18, 2012
Baltimore
have you tried to use your fingers to compress the rings one at a time as you slide the jug on?
Yes, the piston is already inside the jug when positioned at TDC, but I'm having great difficulty getting the jug back down. Can I just whack it with a rubber mallet a couple of times?

skitchfish

Oct 27, 2010
Michigan
Custom search norms tutorial where he uses a wooden fork tool. Basically using a piece of wood that slides under the piston at tdc and around connecting rod. This wood fork is just like having another set of hands. It holds the piston from going down and alignment between cylinder studs. Lube your cylinder and piston with two stroke oil using your finger.

There should be no need to hit your girl with a hammer! Try wiggling side to side slightly and it should fall right down.

Matricon

Jul 18, 2012
Baltimore
There should be no need to hit your girl with a hammer! Try wiggling side to side slightly and it should fall right down.
Unfortuantly I got my Chris Brown on and I whipped that jug into place with a rubberized screwdriver. After a certain point it just slipped back down the studs nice and smooth like. Turns out the guy I got it from got a little to excited with a tube of rtv silicone...

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
The guy I got it from let it sit outside for 4 months so I wanted to get a good look inside the engine to see what was in it. He ran it a little rich judging from the buildup on the cylinder head and there is some very light scoring on the piston and cylinder. After VERY carefully examining the piston i found little protrusions in the slot the rings go in. I rotated the rings around so the protrusion is in between the ring gaps and voila it slid right in! I'm still having trouble moving the cylinder jug back down the studs though. Is it acceptable to use a rubber mallet to force it back down?
What you did was re-align the rings back into their proper positions. Those protrusions are actually there to hold the rings in place. The problem was that they weren't aligned properly. Of the problems most commonly affecting these engines out of the box, I dont believe that ring misalignment is on that list, but it doesnt surprise me at all to hear of it. Quite frankly though, I am surprised that the piston was able to fit inside the cylinder in the first place with the rings misaligned. This is just a handy little tidbit for future reference. Glad you got her back together. Have you run her at all yet?

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
one other person on here had that out of the box and it made it run like srap because he had very little compression he took the head off and pored a little 2 stroke oil in and it ran trough like there was no rings at all