Chain getting stuck in Clutch Cover

GoldenMotor.com

geeksquid

Feb 14, 2008
As others have stated, #41 chain is very commonly available in many places. Ottawa is a very large city and will have countless sources. Tractor Supply Co. is known as the Incredible Country Hardware Store in Canada. But this is one place where they won't actually make a chain for you and you can only buy it in a box. I live in a very tiny town but we have two tractor dealers and they will make a chain for you if you tell them the number of links. If you're looking for an effortless solution, this would be the most effortless of all. I simply searched ottawa tractor dealers on google and came up with a huge list of those and similar places that would likely have 41 chain. And I'd be curious to know where you paid $70 for a 415 chinese chain. And you said whoever it was made the chain for you, so if you bought some 41 chain elsewhere, could they not do the same again for you with the new chain? And remember, 415 and 41 are not exactly the same but are close and do work on the same sprockets. And you can't mix links from both size chains. It has to be all 41 or all 415. Most likely, you have links binding and getting caught in that tiny space you pointed out. If you check for binding links with the chain off, you might or might not locate them. They might not bind when the chain's off and lying down but will bind when it's installed. Or vice versa. Either that or it's a loose chain or even both.

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
As others have stated, #41 chain is very commonly available in many places. Ottawa is a very large city and will have countless sources. Tractor Supply Co. is known as the Incredible Country Hardware Store in Canada. But this is one place where they won't actually make a chain for you and you can only buy it in a box. I live in a very tiny town but we have two tractor dealers and they will make a chain for you if you tell them the number of links. If you're looking for an effortless solution, this would be the most effortless of all. I simply searched ottawa tractor dealers on google and came up with a huge list of those and similar places that would likely have 41 chain. And I'd be curious to know where you paid $70 for a 415 chinese chain. And you said whoever it was made the chain for you, so if you bought some 41 chain elsewhere, could they not do the same again for you with the new chain? And remember, 415 and 41 are not exactly the same but are close and do work on the same sprockets. And you can't mix links from both size chains. It has to be all 41 or all 415. Most likely, you have links binding and getting caught in that tiny space you pointed out. If you check for binding links with the chain off, you might or might not locate them. They might not bind when the chain's off and lying down but will bind when it's installed. Or vice versa. Either that or it's a loose chain or even both.
Well to rule out any further complications I have a chain on it's way to me that's ment for the kit. I reached Chris Hill and for $20 he is sending me a chain that comes with the kits.

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
Ive had problems with 415 chain and none with regular bicycle chain.415 chain is just to big for the kits.Bikeberry sells 415 chain for 16.95$ I use regular chain on my skyhak kits,works great.
I always asumed the bike chain's couldn't handle the stress and the high rpm of being wiped around like that.

Last edited:

lazieboy

Sep 5, 2009
Mid-west
Happened to me also my chain was too tight at one point in the revolution needed to add chain link. I also had to adjust my tensioner to move and guide chain a little to the left or right. But also my engine mount shifted, bent when enguaged clutch needed to modify my custom mount.. I ran into all kinds of problems and still cant get mine to start. got gas,spark ??????

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
I'm looking at mcmaster.com right now. They have #41 chain that you can buy in various configurations. By the foot, or per link. With the per link option, you can get it made without a master link (probably the strongest option).

Also, they have stainless steel chain which I advise against as it is weak.