Piston ring broken, can't find seller?

GoldenMotor.com

Tekky

Apr 3, 2012
Maine
I've been looking for someone who sells piston rings for a 49cc HT engine, but all I'm finding is 48cc piston rings. Will those work for me since they're so close together?

Tekky

Apr 3, 2012
Maine
How should I measure? What's the procedure? Sorry, this is the first engine I've ever been able to dig into and actually work on, haha.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Seems to be 39mm. Trying to find a converter that only needs hole diameter in mm.
What do you mean..."Trying to find a converter"?
If you can't find the proper size, go up one size higher, and file the ends. Keep in mind the ring pin in the piston. Normal ring clearance is .004 X the bore, a 66cc has roughly a 2" bore, that will be .008 clearance. Place the ring into the cylinder to measure. Me (on a 66cc) I'd file/cut, so I'd have .008 clearance, then file for the pin. Use a file or a dremele type tool.

Last edited:

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
If your piston ring is broken, you better make sure it didnt scratch the cylinder when it broke. I had a piston ring burn up and it scratched all the way down the cylinder. if it did scratch it, you will need a new jug and piston. you will easily be able to see scratches by looking in the cylinder.

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
You can also try Frank Bowman. He makes rings. Not only does he have many common sizes in stock, but will provide custom-made rings if given the necessary dimensions/information.

If you google his email address, you should easily find prices, parts in stock, etc...

I got a couple rings from him and am very satisfied.

Frank Bowman

[email protected]