Tennssee law..

GoldenMotor.com

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
current law is in ""Tennessee motorcycle operator manual"" available from all Tennessee DMV
you may want to carry a copy when riding in case you get pulled over for those LEO that think they know the laws but don't

(34) “Motorized bicycle” means a vehicle with two (2) or three (3) wheels, an automatic transmission, and a motor with a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters (50cc) which produces no more than two (2) brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the vehicle at a maximum design speed of no more than thirty miles per hour (30 mph) on level ground. The operator of a motorized bicycle must be in possession of a valid operator's or chauffeur's license, and shall be subject to all applicable and practical rules of the road. A motorized bicycle may not be operated on a highway of the interstate and defense highway system, any similar limited access multilane divided highway, or upon sidewalks;

http://tntrafficsafety.org/htm/Laws/def101.htm

Class M (Motorcycle)
The operator of a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or
motorized bicycle will need to apply for a Class M license.
These two and three-wheeled vehicles are categorized by
cylinder capacity and other design features. Generally, if the
vehicle is over 125 cubic centimeters, a Class M license is
issued; under 125cc, a Class M limited license is issued.
Class M licenses may be issued as a single license, or
page 8
http://www.tn.gov/safety/publications/05Manual.pdf

this we are going to have to look into

talk about conflicting information

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Seems excessive making you get a motorcycle license just to ride a motor bicycle, but at least they do offer you a legal way to ride. That's more than some states.

Do they offer motorcycle safety foundation classes in your state, in order to get a license? In Texas passing the MSF course qualifies as the driving portion of the test, so then you only have to go to the dmv and pass the written test to get a license.

Since the state is making you get a motorcycle license that should give you some pull with your local state motorcycle rights organizations like ABATE and others. I suggest joining one of them and then start lobbying them to have the law changed.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Biknut
but yet in the motorcyle handbook it state only a VALID class D is need no M endorsement required. to ride a motorizedbicycle of 50cc or less under 2hp with a AUTOMATIC trans so manualy clutched HT motors are now illegal here

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Biknut
but yet in the motorcyle handbook it state only a VALID class D is need no M endorsement required. to ride a motorizedbicycle of 50cc or less under 2hp with a AUTOMATIC trans so manualy clutched HT motors are now illegal here
I guess that's a little better, but you still need some kind of license.

I wouldn't automatically assume a normal china girl would be illegal just because it has a clutch. It doesn't have a transmission that requires shifting. Who's going to know anyway? In case that did become an issue, you could always buy a centrifugal clutch for it, but again who's going to know or care?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I don't think the cops could tell if it had a centrifugal clutch or not unless some blabber mouth tells them.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Key thing in a chinagirl's favor is that it can't take off under it's own power. Smaller engines need pedaling.

It's not like a 212 bike where a cop might see ya beating cars across the intersection with the front wheel a few inches off the ground!

Kiwegapawa

May 2, 2011
Village of Cooper's Cave
biknut
Re: Tennssee law..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't think the cops could tell if it had a centrifugal clutch or not unless some blabber mouth tells them.
BikNut, we have officers here who are creating their own Motorized Bicycle Builds. And the size of the engine should make no difference if it is built and geared within reason. Hence why I bought the 212cc to began with. As I need the power to climb very steep mountains here just north and east of me. Check out what were proposing here Re: Illegal in ny.=====sucks well worth your time, no doubt.
.flg.

Last edited:

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
the only thing that matters is what the LAW states
what you think has no effect on if the cop will write a ticket and if the judge will uphold that ticket. The only thing that matters to a judge is what the law states nothing else.

the law states AUTOMATIC and that is the final word

Kiwegapawa

May 2, 2011
Village of Cooper's Cave
Exactly Ibedayank, why I've been addressing those points exactly, at the Forum URL threads, I'm showing here. Correspondence I'm sending to the chief of police in a town... , 212 predator, Oregon Judge: Not pedaling? Not a bicycle. , and Illegal in ny.=====sucks Laws are By the people, for the people. But they are not written in stone. Matter of fact, thats why our legislative branch is set up the way it is. As when we the people aren't watching them every second, those in corruption of purpose pull the rug off from under other's for say, like corporate funding. Ain't that a coincidence how this happen in New York at the beganning of the election year. Also how the web sites URL links went blank, "Just before the Law Change"! Does not take an Enstine to figure out what's up. Nor is it a new practice in the works.Being Pro-Active, means you don't have to take it lying down. I believe it's worth it, I believe you do to.. As those business loosing business due to someones campaign funds. What if these several states this is occuring in is enough to close that businesses doors. As you are from the Patron State of Shootin stuff. I know I do, being a long term member of shootin stuff myself and my parents before me. (Retired Deputy Sheriffs) You know well their (the Politicians) dirty politics that are using these types agenda's in other "aHum", areas. Please join us in the developement of organizing addressing these point at the legislative bodies across this country? As many of these people are looking in from the outside thinking they've got it all figured out. Let alone , like the guy up here in New York last year that wanted all non-motorized bicycles registered and licensed, collecting duties from children to ride their bicycles. Really, things are well out of hand.
.flg.

Last edited: