Re: New and have questions?

GoldenMotor.com

rhythmrider

Feb 13, 2012
N. CAL
R+D phase on tad style recumbent. Need a shopping list for a basic steering set up. My front cross member/frame is 1.5" tube and I want to run 20" wheels w/disc. Probably missed a thread, everything I found (so far) is too much, please re-direct "The New Guy".
Thanks, r

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
There are so many various options for different steering designs that this is a bit of a difficult question to answer, much depends on what you're planning. I will say that if you're doing a scratch build many of the parts can be sourced from far less costly suppliers then recumbent dealers... for example though both recumbent taddys & BMX bikes both use the same 20mm axles, the ones sold for BMX bikes tend to be 1/2 the cost of the recumbent *shrug*

However, this could be an alternate source for tie rods: http://www.bmikarts.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=179 & I heartily recommend Atomic Zombie Plans for recumbent DIY projects as they strive to keep the plans comprehensive yet simple & utilizing as many "recycled" bicycle components as possible...

You may find this of interest as it contains a lot of info on steering geometry etc: Recumbent Trike Design Primer

Good luck w/your project & defo keep us updated ;)