sbp shift kit issue

GoldenMotor.com

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
I'm mounting a grubee 66cc with a sbp shift kit in a '50 panther frame and I have a couple of issues. I know I read at one point someone having the same issues but I don't remember the remedy.
In order to keep the chain from contacting the motor on the clutch side I have to raise the motor high in the frame. I have it as high as I can get it and the chain is still touching lightly. If I keep it at this height I'll have to buy a straight carb mount because the throttle cable will get kinked by the frame. I was thinking about making some 1/4" thick aluminum spacers to go between the kit and the flat of the rear mounting clamps which would move the motor forward slightly but I don't know if it will have any ill effects. Other than a smaller front sprocket I can't think of anything else. I'm not crazy about how far back and high it sits in the frame either. Any sound advice or ideas would be welcome. I plan on contacting sbp Monday but some of you guys are really clever and I'd like to hear what you have for ideas.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
If you've the new SBP shiftkit, it's design is different but the aluminum spacer trick should still work fine ;)

I used three chunks of aluminum plate, drilled for the u-bolts & tapered (w/beltsander) to match the angle & distance I needed (the bottom most one isn't tapered, but it's jus' for the tension adj bolt), placed between the shiftkit and the u-bolts flat face plate. The taper was to insure the motor's front mount was flush & inline with the frame. I also have a spacer for the motor's front mount as my frame was too large - but it sounds like you don't have that partic issue lol

I would recommend taking a chunk o'steel pipe with the same ID as your bike's tubing OD, cutting it in half and making "pads" for the u-bolts as well - this allows you to torque your mounts fully w/o worrying about crimping your bike's frame, tho you may need the next size larger u-bolts to do this - they're commonly available at most auto parts stores however.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
Thanks BA that does help. I gotta get some aluminum chucks from somewhere. I was up until 2am putting the 1/8' shims I made on and it did help. I didn't think about changinging the angle all together. The air filter is still way close to the top rail so doing that would probably remedy that issue. I'm walking away for now because I'm getting frustrated and making dumb mistakes.

As far as clamp pads I did what the sbp instructions said and drilled out the stock steel motor mount straps flipped 'em around onto the clamp and pow instant pads.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Well, I do that a bunch... mebbe more often then I'd like lol

For those partic spacers, I chopped up a large aluminum framing square, one that jus' wasn't so square nomo... but I'd prolly have chopped it up anyway even if it was :oops:

While ya might not be so desperate as to butcher tools, aluminum is pretty common and real easy to work, if yer scroungin' comes up short there's always yer local metal supply, ya need so little they'll prolly jus' let ya grab a chunk outa the scrap bin *shrug*

Good luck (^)

Last edited: