float adjustment?

GoldenMotor.com

Ballin on a Budget

May 26, 2011
Vernon, British Columbia
Hey norm.

So I just put on a much more free flowing exhaust and my engine seems to be bogging like crazy now. I took of the air filter completely off and it helped, and also put in a cooler plug, but its still bogging at anything over 1/2 throttle. Actually ever since ive had this motor its run perfect but I can never go over 3/4 throttle without it bogging unless im going 30mph and up. Then I can crack it full throttle with no issues.... Plug looks ok...brownish in color (on the ceramic), and my c-clip is on the second from top....

I have read about adjusting the float to allow more "surplus" fuel so the engine wont starve as easily. I just have the factory HT carb. How can I adjust this? Could this help? Thank you in advance.
-Dan

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Did you look at this?

http://motorbicycling.com/f39/motorized-bicycle-carburetor-install-rebuild-302.html
sort of starts on the float at permalink #10.
I've never seen a book on just where you should adjust the float. So I usually adjust it so the float will sit sort of level when held upside down. If you need more fuel in the bowl the let the float set lower when up side down and opposite for less.
it won't hurt to read the whole post either.
Try to get the fork tongs on the float parallel best you can and adjust the float level at the fulcrum.
These carbs are very simple and when you do get it dialed in they work pretty good. My opinion.
Could be you need a one size larger or one size smaller main jet if you added a freer flowing exhaust. If you try a larger jet and it gets worse then you know you need to go smaller.
Running better with the air cleaner off means you need more air and less fuel( can't do much about adding more air) so I'd guess you need to try a smaller main jet.
You probably need to only mess with the main jet size, leave the rest alone.
It's best to change only one thing at a time and test the results, think about what was done and the results, then decide what to try next. Making many changes at once will make you scratch your a$$ and head wondering what you just did.

Last edited:

Ballin on a Budget

May 26, 2011
Vernon, British Columbia
Thanks for the prompt reply....thats the post i was lookin for!

I read somewhere on here that if you need to very slowly give it throttle so it doesnt bog out, than the engine needs a richer mixture. This actually sums up my problem perfectly. If i get on the throttle slowly and progressively it runs fine, just when i open the throttle quickly it just bogs out. Any truth to this being a issue of needing more fuel?
-Dan

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Yea maybe. In that case if you have to slowly run it up on rpms then it runs fine at wot. That would seem like to me that the needle needs adjusting to richen up the lower end of the throttle.
The needle affects idle to 3/4 throttle, main jet affects wot. They both kind of inner mix a little.
I can't be there to see or hear what it's doing so for me it can be a hard thing to try and tell you which way to go on the tune.
I try to get the wot setting first, or the main jet right. Then work on the needle for the lower settings. A lot of times if you get the wot right you don't need to do much to the needle setting if it's in the stock #2 slot. Not all needles are the same either so that can also make you pull your hair out. If you clean the air filter, wash it out in warn soap and water(foam type) and install it with out oiling it that seems to work good. The blow back from the way these engines work will naturally oil the filter.
Oh yea at lot will depend on the fuel/oil mix as well when new they seem to like the oil rich mixes 25 to1 etc. Once broke in they will run the best on 32 to1 or 40 to1. No need for premium fuel the cheap regular works best, I use the syn. type oil too so that is why I use the 40 to1 ratio. I also run a spark plug gap of 0.017 to 0.020" and a stock cheap china spark plug, or a champion I don't remember the number of that off hand but I have it listed in the stickys some where.

Last edited:

Ballin on a Budget

May 26, 2011
Vernon, British Columbia
Hey norm,

Just wanted to give you an update and let you know I fixed the problem. You were right in that I needed to richen up the mixture pre-3/4 throttle so I ended up moving the circlip on the needle to the lowermost position. That just about fixed it completely. I then changed out the plug to a bit cooler NGK BR7HE and now it runs really well and once it warms up it doesnt bog at all like it used to! Cant thank you enough for your assistance. You are an amazing asset to this forum!
-Dan