Are some V-brakes better than others?

GoldenMotor.com

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
Here's my situation: I'm using that V brake adapter from here with an HD rear wheel from Spooky Tooth, and thisdual pull brake handle with a set of promax V brakes that came on a Schwinn Searcher. It seems like I can't get the brakes adjusted right, they either drag the rim pretty hard or they don't give enough stopping power. Could it be that these brakes aren't that great? or could it be that this brake handle isn't made for V brakes?

It should be noted that I use the same brake handle and brakes on my other bike and it stops just fine.

If these brakes are crap, then could you recommend some good ones that won't cost hundreds of dollars?

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
Awesome, Kevlarr! And I was thinking "maybe if the brakes arms were longer it would do better". Thanks for the advice and I will definitely invest in a set of those soon.

It's funny, I look through General Discussion all the time, and I never saw that thread. :p

edit:

Actually, Niagara doesn't list them any more and a google search brought up only 3 results, all of which were reviews. Anyone else got anything?

Last edited:

reb1

Aug 15, 2010
CALIFORNIA
There are better V brakes. There is also V brake specific handles. There is a product called a travel agent that replaces the noodle and has a pulley on it that increases the amount of cable you pull with your brake handle.

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
Reb1, Thanks for that info. Never heard of it so I will have to check that out.

Also, the brakes that Kevlarr was talking about are the Tektro 857 AL... not 587. It took me forever to figure that out. LOL, don't worry about the mistake Kevlarr, I once sent a newbie off looking for an "NCS" carburetor. ;)

Last edited:

reb1

Aug 15, 2010
CALIFORNIA
Problem Solvers

This link had a good description of the product and the different models. I currently have one on the front of my single. It is a bit tricky to get in place but you will have greatly increased power to your brakes. They will help with any brake handle.

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
This v-brake works great with the same adaptor.....I'm getting another adaptor for the rear to run a v-brake along with the band brake on the HD wheel from Spooky Tooth. You can never have too much braking power on these motorized bikes....if ya like ta go fast!

I'm going to mount the adaptor and thus the v-brake on the topside of the chainstays just behind the bottom bracket....they should work very well and be outta the way there....I'll letcha know.