Go-Kart to Push Trailer

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Getting closer; and I have not spent a dime just using junk I can find around. And it looks like too lol.

All I need is to hook up a throttle cable, figure out the trailer to bike attachment and then I can really take it for a long test ride.

Oh... I still need a primer bulb. But with the tank above the carb I can run it. It just drips a few drops here and there.

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I looked everywhere for a primer bulb in town. ACE hardware had a 2-4 stroke primer bulb kit that came with 3 pieces. Only one looked close and without being able to take it out of the box I did not want to spend $14.00.

Home Depot and Lowe's, and the regular parts store had some, but none even close to the right size.

So I went to a Go-Kart/ Lawn equipment shop they had none the right size in stock and had to order it for me at $6 for two. I knew I could get a better deal on online.

So I ordered 10 online for $4 plus $1.50 for shipping off Ebay. Way better deal. I should have just ordered them earlier when I first started.

And while I was at the go-Kart shop hoping they had a primer bulb in stock, I bought some used tubes for $1 each. So that's what I am going to do later tonight change out the tubes.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Dave, you gotta paint that fuel tank. It looks like you cut yourself installing it, or you ran over something and killed it.

Just curious. In the eyes of the law, is it still considered a 'motorized bike' when the engine isn't part of the bike? Lawyers on both sides would have a hey-day with that one.

Tom

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I suppose I could paint it make it look pretty. Straighten the basket so it's square again. Make a better strap for the fuel tank. I'll get around to it....eventually lol.

You know I don't have a clue if the law considers it a motorized bicycle? It's only 33cc's and I'm figuring 15-18mph is going to be close to top speed. As long as I am not riding around at 35mph they should not bother me.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Dave, you gotta paint that fuel tank.
Is this better? Once I get some miles on it and I like it I'll strip it down and do a better paint job. Little bit of White and grey is all I have on hand.

I do need to repaint the cap, I guess I did not get all the oil and fuel off before I painted it.

Just waiting for my primer bulbs to arrive before I mount the motor back on.

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Very true Tom. The Pinto was discontinued before my time, but thanks to Nader by the time I came to age their was a ton of them in junk yards.

They made great little race cars and as a kid trying to get into racing the Pinto was affordable with tons of parts on hand. Which is why I have so many Pinto emblems I went through a lot of Pinto body's lol.

Still waiting for my primer bulbs. They should have arrived today? Tracking said out for delivery but the mail man didn't even stop at my house. I guess maybe Tuesday? I want to get this thing back together and out for a nice long ride.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The Pinto... wow.
I suffered through a very embarrassing moment when my mother glimpsed my girlfriend and I doing what young people tend to do in cars. My girlfriend drove an old, like-new Pinto.
What do young people do in cars? I forgot.

Tom

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
That is the same type carbs that I got.!! Ive been messin with those carbs for 7 years, and finally got it so i can take one o those that dont work and make em work great. The way those work is ingeeeius . My carb started to bog yesterday, on my test run , so i stopped and reved it up and turned my gas/air screw back and forth to tune it in and then it ran great!!! Today, i went for a much longer test run and no problem!! Even when my bike was brand new there would still be boggin but only when i gave it too much of the start, but now no boggin at all!!! but that is cause i got my bike set up like those GO-Peds!! really low gear set up and higher revs!!!
I always have carb problems between winter and summer!! it is always the gas air...also leaked a bit so i thread tapped the the needle valve.
and yes i did take the primer bulb out of one of those carbs and sealed it up with tire tube,,but i also made the return constant while running ,,like a skidoo but it flooded out too much.
Anyway, i like your motor, and that Snap-ON wrench!!!

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Thanks for the advice Blakenstein, that is very helpful.

Last night I did install a new plug and noticed it looks like its running way to lean. I'll mess with the air/fuel ratio later today when I get off work. My work day will be a short one so I'm sure I will have it running by the end of the day.

lol I like Snap-on as well. Just don't like those snap on prices. Wish I could find a dealer that would honor that life time warranty they never seem to want to.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Even at 10mph, Dave, what does it feel like to be pushed? Does it effect the handling of the bike in any way? It just looks awkward and maybe because I've never ridden a pusher, but the drive force coming from the rear of the bike seems odd. When the rear wheel is driven things would seem normal but to be pushed....???

Tom

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
No torque steer what so ever from the motor. Going straight, turning left or right its all the same.

If I had a bigger motor with a lot more torque maybe the results would be different?

What I do notice is if one wheel falls into a pot hole or big crack in the road, it will give the bike a little jerk to one side.

The same affect happens if both wheels fall into a pot hole or crack but instead of a jerk to one side it jerks the bike straight back.