Welcoming myself back

GoldenMotor.com

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
Hi again My name is Jim C from up or down in Long Beach CA. I am getting back into this. I did build and ride a Schwinn Jaguar with a Stinger SD motor in it. I was never as happy with the bike as I thought I would be. I sold the bike and never looked back until now. I have a chance to buy a Huffy CB from a neighbor for very little $ I was thinking of going with the Stinger but did have some early problems with it and always was unhappy with the clutch. The question is - Huffy & Stinger a good combination? Do you guys and gals suggest a better motor? What do you think? The bike is rusty & needs cleaning up but it has very little use (like ridden around the block and parked) I do not want a hot rod just a clean bike to ride.brnot

Last edited:

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Welcome back Jim!

What were your issues with the Jaguar and Stinger that you were unhappy with? The Jaguar is as good quality or better than the Cranbrook, so with the same setup you will be likely equally as disappointed.

Hopefully your issues were just with situations that can be fixed with simple upgrades or modifications. One of the first things I did when I got my kit was waste a day trying to get the rag joint right, put it in a box, set it on fire, then ordered a hub adapter... LOL. If I had to rely on the rag joint, I would have given up long before I did (I blew up my motor).

The clutches on these little motors are super simple, and should be easy enough to sort out. Mine needed the main spring tightened waaaaaay over what it came from the factory at in order to stop the clutch slipping when hot. So much so that it was a chore to pull the clutch lever, which was solved with one of Al.fisherman's awesome clutch rollers. So a $15 part and I was good to go.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I have had a Huffy Cranbrook for 2 years, and I am completely happy with it. I have spent two years upgrading parts and customizing things like lights and such, mostly just because I wanted to, not out of a serious need to replace defective parts. The frame itself has been very solid for me, and I weigh 275. So it was worth the $75 I paid for it brand new, and I'm sure will be worth the price you will get it for used. Good luck and welcome back to the hobby.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It would help if you'd be a little more specific about what you didn't like or had problems with on your first bike. They might have been problems that could have been easily solved. I doubt there were any problems with the bike. The Jaguar is a proven platform for a motorized bicycle You said "clutch problems". What specifically were your problems?

Tom

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
hey Jim, welcome back!

i worked on his first bike, and the clutch lever was extremely hard to pull. i didn't mess with it long enough to figure it out, but i remember how hard it was.

i also remember all the bolts on the bike were loose thanks to the awesome "bicycle mechanic" at walmart that put it together... :(

lemme know if you need any more help Jim, i'm in westminster now, and i've got a garage...

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
Thanks, this is a good forum folks are so helpful. The Jag was just too short bar to seat, the quality was (imho) poor. The CB is free (price is right) The clutch was never right, hard to pull, drag. The motor was fast easy 30 after break in. I want to do a laid back kind of bike with a very retro or vintage look & I think the CB fits that mold. I am use to Giant, Electra towniee, Specialized, Trek and other quality bikes I really never did like department store bikes

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Thanks, this is a good forum folks are so helpful. The Jag was just too short bar to seat, the quality was (imho) poor. The CB is free (price is right) The clutch was never right, hard to pull, drag. The motor was fast easy 30 after break in. I want to do a laid back kind of bike with a very retro or vintage look & I think the CB fits that mold. I am use to Giant, Electra towniee, Specialized, Trek and other quality bikes I really never did like department store bikes
The Cranbrook is a department store bike. $88 Wallyword special, though I got mine for $75 (possibly on sale that day).

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
hi there i ride a schwinn jaguar and know exactly what you mean as to short i ended up putting a lay back seat post on mine and it is so mush more comfortable

the cranbrook is a nice bike but im one of them guys who dosent like single speed coaster only bikes and would need to change all that on the bike to ride it