Sandy

GoldenMotor.com

obadboystanley

Sep 4, 2012
NYC
As you all probably know Sandy hit the east coast pretty hard. Im from NYC and public transit is a big deal here to get around. So when sandy came and went There was no public transportation in NYC. This when my little motorized horse came in handy. It got me to work fast and easy.Public transport started to slowly come to life but with that came really long lines and long waits. I wasnt going to deal with that. So while everyone was fighting to get into a bus I was cruising and having fun. As for the police I would ghost pedal or just shut it off and wouldnt get noticed. Ive passed by right next to a couple of cops and they didnt even bother to look. I guess it shouldnt be a problem as long as I dont ride like a maniac.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Stay warm. I just had to make a small donation to the Red Cross, even if people want to destroy me and knock my teeth out, cause it just looks so heartbreaking and I went through a flood and lost everything myself back in 2008.

YES!- our bikes are a convenience and a measure of SECURITY I wish I'd had through the years of worrying about how I was going to afford a car.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Katrina, Joplin, Birmingham, flooding on Bismark and Mississippi rivers- Now Sandy

the list just keeps going on now

then throw in the quakes- Haiti, Japan and the Tsunami-
Did you know that 3/4 of Thailand was under water the summer before last?

the world is reeling- we need to know the season....

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
i agree they needed to give more warning and better warnings to peoplein areas there are parts of long island that 6-12 blocks are gone from the shore gone nothing left but rubble large sections still dont have power because they where under water and the people there are getting pissed and protesting

obadboystanley

Sep 4, 2012
NYC
The city is coming back to life, but there's still lots of people without electricity, and with out homes. Very sad.
Makes you appreciate the little things more.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Ratso (Me!) didn't see Midnight Cowboy until a few moneths ago when he was already "safely" in Florida- and if you walked a day in my shoes you might use that term just as loosely-

because I'm also a bit of a "Joe Buck" as well, and I'm a survivor......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnhgk1rWCH4&feature=related

When 7 feet of water destroyed my home in Brown county Indiana (I'd just spent 3 years renovating and just about done) FEMA was great- and I landed in Jacksonville- but when the local people got involved in the land buyout later- the whole thing was a frustrating mess that took years- while they went out of their way to prove to us all the evils of government.

Ride em Cowboy! Always loved this song- Great movie too- a bit depressing tho.

Tool Maker

Oct 28, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
An interesting point. The lightweight motorized bicycle as a utility vehicle for situations like that.

Lightweight enough to carry around / over some obstacles, or upstairs to keep it dry. Easy on fuel. Able to carry a single rider & some groceries farther & faster than walking.

No ongoing costs to maintain as a backup - no license / registration / insurance in many parts of the country.

My TW200 Yamaha has that job now. But I have to keep it registered & insured, so that I can ride enough to be ready to use. I could build a new motorized bicycle every year for what it costs to keep the TW200 on the road (legally).

Tool Maker

Oct 28, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Heavy is a relative term. The TW200 is 275 lbs with a full tank of gas.

I can't ride anything on the sidewalk here legally, not even a bicycle. The good news is a motorized bicycle is classified as a scooter or "moped" here in NV. That means I need mirrors & a brake light for daytime operation, but I am also "entitled to full use of the traffic lane" Which means I stay out of the gutter.

B.