Why build a motorbike???

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I built my first one to get around without a drivers license, that was almost 3 years and 50+ bikes ago.

Like many here I have always been a guy that can look at something and want to understand it and can't help but see what could be better.

After 30 years of riding the custom built Personal Computer wave I was burnt out on that and then out the blue Motorized Bikes came along.

Manuals? We don't need no stinking Manuals! (blazing saddles badges reference).
In short none of these kits go together like Lego's and the manuals are a joke so there is a level of mechanical skill and creativity involved in not only how it looks sitting still but how mechanically sound and safe it is to ride.
I can get downright anal about both.

Though I usually get 50 miles riding time a week in on whatever my current ride is I don't 'build to ride' or 'ride to build' anymore, I build for a living just doing the fun parts I like to do.

My official 'Arizona Certificate of Trade Name' for KC's Kruisers came in this week and I'll have my Business License in a couple of weeks, and I have a line of trained staff to turn the wrench's and do the test rides.

To address the Topic 'Why build a motorbike???' well, turns out I am pretty good at it and having a blast doing the parts I like working from home and making a living having fun.

A job is only work if the work you do isn't fun and I'm having a ball ;-}

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I built mine to get to work and back on, initially. I'm mechanically handy, and enjoy working with my hands as well (I go nuts very quickly at 'desk work'). Tinkering with the overhead door of the garage open also helped me meet the neighbours in the area we moved to. I know now that there's a guy a few doors down who restores old Mustangs, and has offered me use of the tools I don't have whenever it isn't inconvenient for him (torches, welder, heavy bench vice, and more). He actually went a got a kit for his wife's bike after seeing mine, but she decided it wasn't for her so I bought it off him and set it up on my wife's bike. It also has the added bonus of giving me a reason to get out the the garage/shop and out of her way. ;)

... i'm getting more soft on in my older days -58-...
I was born on the 21st of February, 1954 (making Nashville Kat and I close in age).
It's actually a bit disturbing to see so many contemporaries involved in the same field of endeavour, and I'll like to see a graph of this forum's members by age distribution to see where the bulge it. I suspect the median age of people in the Western world who work on and build motorized bikes is 40 to 60.

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando
Just like it says on the tin, why did you build your motorbike? Pleasure only, commuting to work, short distance errand running, etc.

Also, is it build to ride, or ride to build?

Maybe this should be a poll? Dunno how to do that.
Started out for fun..then I realized my BumbleBee could get me to work and back! So i started out at 5am and took the hour ride into the office..All my employee's looked at me like I was crazy the 1st time I buzzed up on my Bike!
I told em you guys aren't making me enough money gas is killing me! So I rode buzzed my bee into the office..after about 6 of employee's rode it we all went to work!