Rock N Roll chain lube

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Normally I buy chain lube at the motorcycle shop. Last time was PJ 1 Black label. I didn't like the PJ 1 very much. It splatters, and I have to adjust the tensioner a lot. Doesn't seem like it's doing that good a job, and it's nasty black looking stuff on the chain.

Before that I was using Maxima Chain Wax. it worked a little better than the PJ 1, but made the chain look nasty, and waxey.

So I happen to be in a bicycle shop one day about 6 weeks ago. Since I don't like the chain lube I'm using, I'm looking. i never bought chain lube at a bicycle shop before. I see 3 different color bottles of fancy looking chain lube. It must be fancy because it's in a tiny bottle.

The sign says, The King of Lubes. It says that on the bottle. The name of the company that makes this stuff is Rock N Roll Lubrication. It comes in 3 flavors. EXTREME, ABSOLUTE DRY, and GOLD. The gold is the top.

The bicycle shop sales babe recommends the Gold to me. She knew it was for my MB, and she thinks out of the 3, it's the best for me. Does she even know what a MB is? I dono, but she's cute, so I decided to try something different.

So the claim is this stuff is different, and in fact not even oil. It's flammable. It cost $10 for 4 oz, but it's Gold, or is it?

The instructions say to apply the lube liberally, and wet the chain, letting the lube wash itself into the chain. Then get a rag and wipe the excess lube off the chain.

What I've noticed after a little over a month, is this stuff is the best chain lube I've used on my MB.

After applying it, it seems to last a long time. It doesn't splatter on the rim. I mean it really doesn't fly off the chain at all. All of a sudden I don't have to adjust the tensioner as often. After a long 30 mile ride, I can't see much difference in the chain adjustment. I've only adjusted the chain 3 times since I started using it 6 weeks ago.

Considering how good it works I think it's worth the $10.

http://www.rocklube.com/

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
I may have to look into that. The fact that it doesn't splatter up onto the rim is a huge plus if you have rim brakes. I always have to just clean them off after rides. The website claims that it actually cleans the chain, by forcing foreign matter to the surface of the chain to fly off. That would certainly extend chain life. Then again, I can buy an awful lot of bar and chain oil for $10, though not having to clean the chain as often would be nice.

Also, you adjust your tensioner that much? If I keep mine too tight, no matter what, it always pulls to about 7/8" - 1" slack. I cannot keep it tighter, it will always loosen to that point and then stop, so that's where I keep it. It runs free, has never jumped off once since I built it, and puts less wear on the chain.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Except for perhaps first applying the Maxima Chain lube I don't get any splatter. I found that simply letting the stuff dry on the chain over night is perfect. Even came up with a way to use a old plastic store bag up against the chain when applying it whilst spraying from the straw.. I have to say that once a blue moon cleaning the chain up proper is indeed needed and always looks better but I rarely do..

Shoot I go to the end of the drive way with a running garden hose and an old paint brush dipped in gasoline cleans up good. That of course has to dry real good. Then I put the M. back on and go to bed so to speak . If I stray from that I get splatter off that chain big time every time. Other wise the bike stays clean enough for me to eat off of for the most part.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'm putting this lube to the test. We'll see as time goes by, just how effective RNR Gold chain lube really is.

I just installed a brand new KMC 415 chain from Pirate Cycle. Both my sprockets are in good condition. I applied the chain lube wet, dripping wet. Then I wiped it all off. Then I made sure the chain was adjusted properly. Next I went on a 15 mile ride.

Now the chain is a little looser than before I left, but that's normal for a new chain. After the chain breaks in, I haven't had to adjust it very often. The Atomic BB has been so dependable it's maintenance gets neglected a little. Since it has over 2000 miles on it, I'm pretty aware of the chain maintenance demands. The chain I just took off was the original.

We'll see, as time goes by just how effective RNR Gold chain lube really is. I'm thinking it works pretty good based on the first 2 oz of the stuff I've used so far, but this time I'm starting with a new chain.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
On my second KMC 415 chain on my BoXer and fast approaching 10,000 miles. By then it will have been be on it's third chain. This has been a good chain for me I like their chains.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Except for perhaps first applying the Maxima Chain lube I don't get any splatter. I found that simply letting the stuff dry on the chain over night is perfect. Even came up with a way to use a old plastic store bag up against the chain when applying it whilst spraying from the straw.. I have to say that once a blue moon cleaning the chain up proper is indeed needed and always looks better but I rarely do..

Shoot I go to the end of the drive way with a running garden hose and an old paint brush dipped in gasoline cleans up good. That of course has to dry real good. Then I put the M. back on and go to bed so to speak . If I stray from that I get splatter off that chain big time every time. Other wise the bike stays clean enough for me to eat off of for the most part.
I think the Maxima, which is called chain wax, lives up to it's name. It works pretty good. It works about as good as any of the premium motorcycle chain lubes. In other words it's the good stuff. But it also has drawbacks that I don't like. All the premium chain lubes have something about them that's not great. PJ 1 flys off a lot. The chain wax is only a little better. The chain wax goes on nasty looking. When it dries it's waxy, and attracts dirt like a magnet. It's a little bit more time consuming to maintenance.

It's main advantage is the same as everyone elses. It lubes the chain pretty good, and lasts a while. Some of them splatter more. Some of them look cleaner. You just decide which devil you can live with best.

This new stuff might be something different than we're used too. I'm fixing to find out, I just replaced my chain, and I'm going to use this stuff till I find out how well it works.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
On my second KMC 415 chain on my BoXer and fast approaching 10,000 miles. By then it will have been be on it's third chain. This has been a good chain for me I like their chains.
I like these chains too. The one I just took off might have had 2500 miles on it. Half the time I was using a can of PJ1 till it ran out. I had already adjusted the tensioner out all the way twice, and added a 1/2 link. It still looked ok, but I'm getting a new sprocket and I wanted it all to be new.

smeg

Aug 6, 2012
sydney australia
g'day noobie here, i have used the rock n roll lube on my road bike for years, now i have a motorized bike, i'll be using it on that to, get the red stuff, its for road use and seems to stay clean and dry.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
g'day noobie here, i have used the rock n roll lube on my road bike for years, now i have a motorized bike, i'll be using it on that to, get the red stuff, its for road use and seems to stay clean and dry.
Hi smeg, first of all, welcome to te forun from Dallas. Something tells me you've been around a while already. The red would probably be fine for me, I never ride in the rain anyway.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. After you've tested it out throughly on your MB, please feel free to come back here and let us know about it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Not saying the high priced stuff isn't good, just, well, high priced.

I've been using chain saw chain and bar lube for several years. It's formulated to lubricate chains, right?
If I over do it I get a few splatters the first time I ride but after that the rims, tires and bike stay clean and the chain lubricated. It doesn't sling off and seems to do a great job as far as lubrication goes. I relube my chains about every 200 miles or so.
As for chain wear; my newest bike has just over 200 miles and I adjusted the chain tension for the first time last week, and it really wasn't that loose.

Tom

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Where I work they will not stock any specialty chain lube products? Was just plainly told to put oil on them. Every time I work on a 4 wheel Quad, Scooter or motorcycle been using chain saw bar/chain lube on the gnarly chains. Works good!;)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Where I work they will not stock any specialty chain lube products? Was just plainly told to put oil on them. Every time I work on a 4 wheel Quad, Scooter or motorcycle been using chain saw bar/chain lube on the gnarly chains. Works good!;)
I can understand why a business wouldn't want to use an unproven lubricant. It's hard to find a lawn shop that recommends Opti1 lol.

My logical mind says this stuff must be too light duty, but my eyes seem to be telling a different story. The jury is still out, but if the glove don't fit, you must acquit.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I still very impressed with this chain lube. Since I installed the new chain, I've only adjusted it one time.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
4 months now using this chain lube. I'm raving about this stuff. It's the best chain lube I've ever used.

It's proving not to be as expensive as it seems, because it lasts a long time on the chain. I lube my chains often, but the 4 oz bottle I bought back in the summer is almost gone now. There's enough left for about one more application.

Chain lubes always always advertise they don't fly off, but seems like they always do. This stuff really doesn't. Another thing that's really neat about it is how it looks on the chain. It has a clean look. After you apply it the chain, the looks clean, and stays that way.

I've seen it on Amazon in larger bottles, that made it a little more reasonable priced. I'm going to buy more. I've never tried anything like this stuff before.