Gasbike.net customer service

GoldenMotor.com

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
Sunday, September 12

I placed an order which consisted of a gasket, pullstart/centrifugal clutch, and wide pedal cranks. Total cost: $93.00.

Friday, September 17

Upon opening the box I found a small piece of aluminum freely moving about inside. At the time I didn't know what it was to. Later I found out it was a missing piece that broke off the pull start pawl side. It's a small piece that the spring attaches to and keeps the pawls tensioned.

I emailed [email protected] on September 17 and described the problem as well as provided a picture.
I asked for a reply to my message.

Today, Tuesday September 21

No reply to the email from the 17th as of today even though I asked for one. I called them a few times during their business hours; first at 12:30 eastern time, next at around 5:00, then at 6:30. Each time I called all the departments were closed except the one where one can place an order. At 12:30 I left a message for the shipping department (#5) saying that a part was broken and I left a call back number. At 5:00 I called the order placing option (#1). A guy answered; I told him that I needed to speak with someone about a broken part. He said something like "hold on". Two minutes later I heard a 'click' and they hung up. At 6:30 I called back the same department (option #1). This time I got a woman who actually referenced my order number. She asked me what the problem was so I described it. She said that some 'tech' guy would be there on Friday, September 24th to call me back at 8pm. I'll see if they call.

The BS about the whole thing is that no one else is there in any other department to answer. The recording keeps telling me to call back during "normal business hours", which I was. I'll see where this goes.

Last edited:

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
It has probably been said here before but I didn't listen: Gasbike.net has lower prices than the other vendors, but the customer service leaves a little to be desired.

^^^^^ Understatement of the year.

I'll admit I ordered a 66cc engine kit from them a year ago and had no problems. Now I know that customer service isn't important until one really needs it.

Catfisher

Apr 10, 2010
Heart of Illinois
I tried to contact Gasbike. net months ago about misleading advertising. They have had a sidebar ad here for several months advertising a Storm 4 stroke 49cc @ $199.00. If you click on their ad the price is not $199.00, but $299.00. Also, the motor has not been in stock for over 6 months.

To me this is a fraudulent form of bait and switch, untrustworthy and dishonest, I have called them repeatedly and I get no answer, just put-offs and runarounds.

If possible I'd like whoever on this great site is responsible for accepting the paid ads hold them accountable for what they are advertising; or pull their ad from the site.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I'm sorry Catfisher, but I don't think that's even remotely feasible. If you think about what that would entail, the checking of each and every individual product and it's price, the policies and claims from every vendor & on a regular basis no less and you'll begin to see the gravity of that task, even the impossibility of such.

I must remind folks that motorbicycling.com can in no way be held responsible for the contents of our advertiser's websites or the claims therein. By their sponsorship such vendors are in actuality simply advertising themselves, there is no inferred or overt approval of their methods or products just because they have an advertisement on this site. Such advertisements are primarily to offer you diversity in purchasing options - choices you'll need to make yourself based on reviews and information available on this forum should you wish to heed it.

I would suggest contacting the vendor in question directly to address any complaint, reporting any inappropriate behavior you may see on this forum as well as doing what you've done here - bringing such errors and/or misrepresentation to the attention of our member base.

Last edited:

Catfisher

Apr 10, 2010
Heart of Illinois
I agree, BarelyAWake, it wouldn't be feasible to constantly check every vendor. I wasn't trying to suggest anything like checking each website. Most ads simply announce a website, hoping you will click over and look around. Only a couple show one specific product or advertise a specific price. I guess it just bugs me seeing that same ad several times a day, months after calling them repeatedly; and they keep showing a non-existant engine at a false price. BTY, I wanted to buy that engine, I'm not trying to make trouble for any honest vendor.

In my antiquated way of thinking, that ad should be hurting their business rather than promoting it. I just don't get how Gasbike.net doesn't see that and doesn't care.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
i buy a lot of stuff from gasbike. they have super fast shiping and low prices, but you get what what you get from them and thats it. they have no customer service at all but i know that going into the sale. the 199 4 stroke kit was a sale from last winter, it will probably be back again this winter, i bought 6 or them last year, 2 had broken choke levers and all had dented gas tanks.
if you need customer service gasbike is not for you. kings bikes is also the same place as gasbike, same web site with different logos.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Any advertisement naming a specific price should be questioned as they're by their very nature time-sensitive, any advertisement at all should be viewed with some skepticism as they are of course trying to sell you something. A bias, misleading information, oversights, even outright falsehoods are not an impossibility, some level of misrepresentation is inherent in most advertising, it's profundity dependent only on the ethics of the retailer.

We do what we can to present a unbiased representation of the available vendors, as a site we're neither for or against any one sponsor, we constrain self promotion to 'Swap and Shop' to preserve the integrity of the suggestions and advice found in the general forum, we rotate the ads on a regular basis so none receive undue placement or coverage - yet the claims of the vendors and the content of the ads themselves are the responsibility of the advertiser, their renewal on a monthly basis. If any distributor develops a history of unethical business practices above and beyond the norm, we do in fact remove their ad and discontinue their sponsorship, even ban the vendor - but this entails more grave offenses than outdated or even incorrect pricing, a lack of effective customer service or even simple exaggeration.

Which are some of the many reasons we so greatly value feedback from our members and that is in fact one of the primary purposes, even one of the causes for the founding of this forum :)

Personally - I agree with your "antiquated way of thinking" that the ad is hurting their business rather than promoting it. If they don't see that and/or don't care - then I figure it to be an accurate reflection of their general business practices. Yet many consumers are willing to accept a lack of customer service and some misrepresentation, a general indifference to the buyer in the interest of saving a little bit of money, as evidenced by the popularity, even resounding success of the eBay merchant.

*shrug* So what can ya do? Offer a variety of options from vendors that will at least deliver the product purchased and hope to provide enough for the member base to make an informed, educated decision based on both the reviews of the product and the vendor in question, the sale itself dependent on the purchaser's primary interest - be it quality, reputation or even just cost.

Last edited:

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
My Dad ordered a bunch of parts from gas bike, payed for them (of course) and didn't receive all of them. It was like they forgot to put some of the stuff into the box. He got no replies to his emails either. That's when I decided that I will never order from them again either.

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
At this point it's just worth it to JB Weld the part back on. At least my brother and I are accustomed to fixing things like this. He's used JB Weld on many things before so he should know how to do it. It'd be two weeks before I put the centrifugal clutch on otherwise. It would be too cool here by then! This is the last week of warm weather on Long Island for the forsee-able future.

It's not too expensive and I learned something in the process.

callahoochy

Aug 5, 2010
DC area
gasbike, aka kingsmotorbikes, was great answering the tech help line a few months ago...then nothing. No call backs and no email replies... like they dropped off the earth. I have had satisfying experience with sickbikeparts. They communicate and ship promptly, but i don't think they sell complete motor kits. bicycle-engines dotcom does, and they have been professional also.

poo poo pipe

Aug 2, 2010
colorado
Once your money is in there hands they don't need you, I ordered from kings motor bikes also known as gas bike just hoping to get what i ordered,Knowing if i had a problem i would not dissapoint myself by calling for lost or damaged parts. Next time i will order from someone who is a sponser on here.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I've ordered from SBP, GREAT all the way around, I've ordered from Piratecycles, also GREAT all the way around, I've ordered from Spookytooth, also GREAT all the way around, I've also ordered many parts from Thatsdax, GREAT service quick ship, Jim @ Manic Mech. has given me great service in the past as well and a good price on the parts, I've ordered several engine kits and many parts from BGF off of ebay, Great prices, quick ship, and all of my questions have always been answered very quick, I know that his warranty is not like some of the other vendors here and there claim to have but for what the stuff cost I don't expect much in that department anyway and he has even sent me extra stuuf with my orders before.
Most of this china stuff is all the same and from the same sweat shops so LOWEST price and quick shipping is what I look for the rest is way in the back of my mind, it's just all about what you consider most important in your own opinion, low price and quick ship is where it is for me, you stand about the same quality risk from just about anyone in my experience.

Just my $.02 nothing more nothing less....!
Shan

tim turbo

Nov 18, 2009
fergus falls mn.
I ordered some parts from this company, and they took like it seemed an eternity to ship them but was only a week. Got the order and it was correct , but they greatly inflated the price of shipping !

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
*shrug* So what can ya do? Offer a variety of options from vendors that will at least deliver the product purchased and hope to provide enough for the member base to make an informed, educated decision based on both the reviews of the product and the vendor in question, the sale itself dependent on the purchaser's primary interest - be it quality, reputation or even just cost.
Ah, but this forum has done more than that: it offers vendor reviews. I checked them long before I made my purchases. My engine I bought from Dax, but I could just as easily bought it from Pirate or Spooky Tooth. I've also bought from SBP and from a little company called "Wonderful Creations" who had a lighting system that I wanted, and they bent over backwards with their customer service for me. Careful research on this very forum will save you many headaches. Some of these reputable companies may charge a little bit more, but that pays for your customer service. It is that little extra that I, myself, am willing to pay for a live human being to hear my concern and be willing to address it. In terms of replacing a part that was shipped to you in damaged condition, you may find that you actually save money when dealing with a more customer-friendly company.