Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

GoldenMotor.com

Chinaboi

Jul 6, 2016
Illinois
So I'm having trouble with a China girl 48cc motor that when the clutch is realeast and the bike is idling the drive train won't engauge

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
this should be in troubleshooting section, but you should open both covers and see where movement stops

Chinaboi

Jul 6, 2016
Illinois
so after a few hours of reading through the forums im curious if the clutch shaft is the same size for the 48cc and the 66cc need to adjust the spring a little or just swap them out while im rebuilding the 48cc?

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
If I'm not mistaken the whole bottom ends are identical. And I must dispute the above claim that the ChinaGirl clutches are sensitive. They are finicky, and can be difficult to adjust, but once you get it tuned in, hammer on that sucker for a few thousand miles, you'll kill the rings or something else long before the clutch, IME. I'll leave a real tip another time.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Here's my tip. While there is no such thing as too bright a headlight, do not forget your taillight! Those are important. A brake light can also be as simple as a second light in the same housing, on a momentary switch. Make sure folks from behind can see you, or they might be the ones to run you over.

Reactions: chmn22s

LordJaidous

Mar 4, 2017
CA: CALIFORNIA
My experience thus far;

1. Carb jet fell into reservoir bowl, bike wouldn't run without choke. Open that, tighten it down

2. Pinion gear (small gear next to big gear) flat head bolt came loose and chewed up woodruff key, installed a crush washer and used impact drill to mount it

3. Throttle got stuck wide open because bracket to intake was too tight, loosened that and all is well

4. Bolts on the head, one was missing a washer so added that and tightened back down

That's all so far, it's always something, I'm sure I'll be posting again soon.

Shout out to all the people on here, I really appreciate all your help :)

Reactions: D.Knight

mikadonovan

Oct 18, 2016
Anderson IN
There are a lot of pages to this thread, so apologies if this has been covered. I have had too many failures with the chain tensioner, and one of them happened at high speed and locked my rear wheel up resulting in a long skid and instant increase in blood pressure. Fortunately I stayed upright and didn't crash and burn. I built this to ride safely and not die due to an equipment malfunction. I bought an extra master and half link and adjusted the chain length that way allowing me to completely remove the tensioner. I have had no problems at all with this set up. The tensioner that comes with the kit is worthless, and a spring loaded tensioner was not much better. Do yourself a solid and don't use one at all, just add or remove links until it is tensioned properly.

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
one can also add 1/4in spacers to rear motor mount, but I'm satisfied with the standard tensioner

[email protected]

Feb 8, 2015
castleton, ny
chain tensioner!!!
what i did eventually was get a bar aprox 20" length. drill holes and slot to match tensioner. bolt to tensioner and secure to bar just under seat(drill hole and put another
nut and bolts for further adjustments under seat).

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Any clever way of emptying a gas tank that has an inlet a bit above the bottom of the tank.

I used a siphon hose and stuck in in the tank that did fairly well and then on my motor bike the fuel can be emptied from the out let. It is just moist then an can air out.

I have a generator that I did the same and there still is gas in there and not emptying. I might remove the fuel filter that is at the outside of the tank outlet to see if it will drain the rest. I added the fuel filter when the carb had problems and I changed it. It might need more pressure to empty. I did remove the gas cap as the gen is like a automobile gas tank and is non-vent gas cap.

I put the gen up on blocks to tilt it so it would drain best. With my motor bike taking the fuel tank off to thoroughly empty the fuel and dry it is quite easy. I'm not sure it will be as easy with this generator. I saw the out let tube where I could possibly unscrew it and then that would be a way. I am just afraid of not having some part that needs replacement if I take it apart and needs a new part afterwards to replace the valve.

Anyway will be checking on Smokstack to see what people have done an works.

chmn22s

Jun 8, 2017
Summer's just gotten started so it's great to be riding but in many places, Fall weather is too bad to go biking. I'm thinking to start planning the next build now so in a couple months when I can't ride, to start on the next bike
only minor mods to your bikes now, so you can keep them ready to go

wildwood

Jul 25, 2017
I have read a great number of pages on here just because I like to study up on anything and everything. I love direction, history, and knowledge. I wanted to leave a tip for a long time now but all I have done so far till today was text book standard. I was having trouble with the acorn nuts on the intake and exsost ports. Those things bottom out on my motor plus the junk studs are...well, junkie. I run a repair shop next to a bike trail and I got every little bike part you can think of. My tip.....those Allen head studs that fit into bicycle v break bosses, ummm yeah they work great for intake manifolds and exsost. I even use them on my standard size mb frame for front motor mounts.