Choke lever? hard to get going

GoldenMotor.com

obadboystanley

Sep 4, 2012
NYC
What does the choke lever do?
If I have it all the way up my motor wont start.
If I have it all the way down my engine starts.
If I slowly bring it up once the motor is on, itll shut off.

Another thing it takes some real pedaling to get it the motor started.
Does it have to do with the weather,choke lever,spark plug?
I ordered a ngk spark plug by the way.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The choke restricts the amount of air that is mixed with the fuel going to the engine. You didn't tell us what carburetor you have but I'm assuming it is an NT. When the lever is up the choke is considered to be 'on' or closed which will give you an over fuel rich condition that makes cold starts a little easier in some cases. You'll want the lever completely down, choke off, for normal riding.
If moving the lever up kills the engine this is a normal condition and indicates that you have no large air leaks. It's good that the engine dies. That's what you want it to do with full choke (lever up).
You might try giving it 1/2 choke and a little throttle while pedaling the first few feet before you release the clutch. Easy starting is a variable thing and differs from engine to engine. You'll need to experiment to see what works best for you.
Normally if it requires full choke to start you'll want to be ready to push the lever down after a few seconds of run time to allow the engine sufficient air to run.
Good luck.

Tom

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
If ever you need to stop the engine with like stuck throttle and would be bad if also kill switch did not work, you could resort to choking the engine off.

2 cents

MT

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
my bike will only start with the ckoke up,but only for a couple seconds or its flooded.
i did find it starts much better with the new ngk plug.
as mentioned above,the choke is useful for starting in cold temps.

it takes experimenting to determine the best way for starting.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
What does the choke lever do?
If I have it all the way up my motor wont start.
If I have it all the way down my engine starts.
If I slowly bring it up once the motor is on, itll shut off.

Another thing it takes some real pedaling to get it the motor started.
Does it have to do with the weather,choke lever,spark plug?
I ordered a ngk spark plug by the way.
Over here I posted a couple of times on a question something like this...

With the lever all the way up, it's a very fuel-rich environment, swinging it down allows more air to mix in. I usually start with the lever up and give it a few seconds before I open up the choke, just until the idle of the engine steadies a bit. I also pedal along with the motor for the first few minutes from a cold start. (On the stock Carb of C'Thulu I never had to adjust the choke, it would start easily with it wide open).

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
My 66 build needs a little choking coldstarting since I changed to the Speed carb a couple years back. It's better than having the bogging the old NT have and it disappears after the first few hundred yards-

it was a hassle to reach down while moving and I was thinking of putting on a thumbshifter and spring ti the choke lever
I knew I'd seen a thread or two here so I used the search and it came up with this:

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=25690

So I decided to see what I may be able to do otherwise, and then simply took a spoke-

bent the hub end around the lever and stuck the other up through my frame tubes- fits perfectly- just enough side to side tension wedging between the tubes and it won't fall forward before getting stopped by the tank-

it's not a hands on the bar solution like a thuimbshifter but I'm gonna giove it a try and should be much easier to operate without fishing around for it-

usually just needs a quick bit on, a few hundreds yards of warming and then a push off

here it is:

Attachments

obadboystanley

Sep 4, 2012
NYC
I decided to ride to work, so before doing my usual pedal a few blocks trying to get her started(choke lever down)
I put the choke lever half way. It started with out a hassle.
Only problem was that not even half way from work(14 mile trip)my clutch cable had become loose. When I got off to fix it the screw that screws in that little cylinder part was gone. I rode the bike to a friends house left it there and took the train to work. I heard finding the replacement screw for that piece is hard.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Go to any hobby shop and ask for 'wheel collars' 1/16" inside diameter. They're used on model airplanes to keep wheels on axles and other uses. You might find something similar at a hardware store but the hobby shop is a sure thing. They usually come in a package of four for about a buck.

Tom

What does the choke lever do?...
To me, it's a pleasure to see somebody unfamiliar with a choke. This means fuel-injected vehicles have taken over from the complicated carbureted ones, and, thus, chokes are uncommon nowadays.

Once, every car had a pull-rod on the dashboard to control the choke. This was gradually replaced with an automatic (thermostatically controlled) choke. And now, the whole carburetor with its choke have disappeared.

On the down side, someone asking about a choke makes me wonder about my age.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
lol,nehmo
its funny you mention the fuel injection being less complicated.
as an automotive diagnostic technician,i love the simplicity of a carburetor with a manual choke.

i remember in the mid 80's many of the older mechanics quit when EFI stepped into the forefront.
that computerized stuff is gonna be nothin but trouble.
heard that a lot.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
lol,nehmo
its funny you mention the fuel injection being less complicated.
as an automotive diagnostic technician,i love the simplicity of a carburetor with a manual choke.

i remember in the mid 80's many of the older mechanics quit when EFI stepped into the forefront.
that computerized stuff is gonna be nothin but trouble.
heard that a lot.
Thanks TJ for the support.
But, "it's more reliable". That's what the technos say. Yeah, right, just like electronic ignition. Give me a break. If your techno ride dies on the side of the road and you don't have a trunk full of replacement parts and the knowledge/tools to replace them, you have a boat anchor, not a car.

If my hot rod gives me a problem, I can get it running and get myself home. Ignition is points and condenser, the carb is a simple 4 barrel Holley with an electric choke. I have the knowledge to troubleshoot any problem it can throw at me...and fix it. Let them drop the bomb. My car will still run after the EMP. Will yours?

Electronic fuel injection, solid state ignition? Try rigging one of those to get you home.
Reliable...hahahaha. As reliable as a...well, a computer?

Tom

Last edited:

obadboystanley

Sep 4, 2012
NYC
Thanks guys I went to home depot and they had plenty. Like 2door said they come four in a pack for less then a Buck. I replaced the clutch cable while I was at it. Funny thing is the flower nut on the clutch gear had came off I tightened it down and for some reason the pull on the clutch lever is much easier then before.