exhaust pipe?

GoldenMotor.com

tim turbo

Nov 18, 2009
fergus falls mn.
If a guy was to bend up his own exhaust pipe, what size would be the right size ? I was thinking half inch conduit, which is five eights inside, I am open to ideas. Thanks.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tim,
I've used 1/2" and 3/4" EMT (conduit) for pipes. They both seem to perform equally well.
EMT can be bent, welded, swedged and formed to make almost any shape pipe you need.
Good luck and show us what you come up with.

Oh, and EMT can be polished and will give a chrome-like finish with a little work on a bench buffer. Use new pipe that isn't tarnished too badly if you plan to polish it..

Tom

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
just dont breath the fumes from welding it your health depends on it...

ZINC

Zinc is used in large quantities in the manufacture of brass, galvanized metals, and various other alloys. Inhalation of zinc oxide fumes can occur when welding or cutting on zinc-coated metals. Exposure to these fumes is known to cause metal fume fever. Symptoms of metal fume fever are very similar to those of common influenza. They include fever (rarely exceeding 102o F), chills, nausea, dryness of the throat, cough, fatigue, and general weakness and aching of the head and body. The victim may sweat profusely for a few hours, after which the body temperature begins to return to normal. The symptoms of metal fume fever have rarely, if ever, lasted beyond 24 hours. The subject can then appear to be more susceptible to the onset of this condition on Mondays or on weekdays following a holiday than they are on other days.
Zink is what coats EMT or conduit

tim turbo

Nov 18, 2009
fergus falls mn.
Thanks for that heads up warning, this site has to take care of it's own! I am aware of the dangers of welding galvinized metal, and believe I took the right saftey precautions. I am a welder by trade, and have all the latest resperators and fume extractors at my disposal, and use them always! Thanks again for your concern. Your post might save someone else a lot of greif.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just do your welding outdoors or in a well ventilated area. You'll be fine. If you feel that you've been exposed to too much fumes, drink a big glass of milk, about an 8oz glass.
The worst I've ever experienced is a scratchy throat and itchy eyes. The milk took care of the symptoms.
Tom