anyone built your own work stand?

GoldenMotor.com

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
I know I can buy a bicycle work stand, but I never buy anything that I can build myself. A work stand sounds like a relatively easy DIY project. I've got a few ideas for a design, but I'm looking for tips.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just built one. No photos but I'll take a few tonight and try to post them here asap. Relatively simple project if you're a welder and have access to some angle iron and steel pipe. I used two 15MM sockets welded to 1/2" all-thread to lift and support the rear wheel. It's adjustable for any width front/rear axle and heavy enough to hold a small to medium sized motorcycle. I wouldn't put full dress Harley up on it but it will easily and safely hold a bicycle for engine runs and test and tune of sprockets, chain etc. Took about two hours to fabricate and cost was under $5.00

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
Sounds good. I'm not much at welding, but I'd like to learn. Looking forward to some pics.

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
Looks good but I'm wondering if the bike is stable with just that, or do you need to chock the front wheel?

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
that's a lot nicer than the quickie job I built.

Just had some scrap wood laying around so I just nailed a couple 2x4's upright on a piece of 2x8. Supports the back of the bike via the chainstays. It's pretty darn shaky, so I don't use it very often. One of these days I'll build a better one.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've run the engine, clutch engaged and peddled it on this stand with no wobbles or shaking. But...I always aim it toward the garage wall and not my wife's car.

Reactions: chainmaker

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com
I use an old trainer stand. I picked it up at a yard sale and one side on the clamp is broke so I use a small piece of scrap wood to hold the bike in place. Once the bike is clamped in, its solid, I can "kick" start the bike and tweak the engine while its running. Warning watch your fingers and head around the rear wheel, even with the clutch pulled in the wheel will spin...Kelly

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Best advice I ever got about a stand was from Large Filipino; A bike carrier. (car) mount to my car/truck. works great! I have 2. last one cost $5 bucks at a yard sale. Have a rope one as well. Cheap, works and is easy.

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
This is what I came up with. Beautiful in it's simplicity. I just ran a piece of one inch pipe through my work bench and put a pipe clamp on the end of it. I clamp the bike at the seat post. It's held securely and it's very convenient as the workbench is right there is front of me.

Attachments