Anyone considering buying a Cranbrook Please Read First

GoldenMotor.com

RandyWhite

Jul 23, 2011
Idaho
It is no secret that I hate coaster brakes. They must be modified to even work. I don't consider them enough braking power for the speeds you will be running at. I even refuse to build anyone a coaster brake equipped bike. In general I hate them.

But there is an alternative. Not sure when, but Walmart has dropped the price on the Schwinn Landmark from $149 to $99, plus tax. You can even get free shipping to your nearest store. Or for a small fee ( for me 4.97) get it delivered to your front door. . .

Pros
Steel frame
Multispeed, if you ever pedal it's nice
Front and rear brakes. Linear but better than a coaster brake and no mod needed.

Cons
smaller gauge spokes
1 color available vs the cranbrook's 4

For the $10-20 more, Please consider upgrading to a better bike.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Let me start out by saying I am not a professional anything these days, Least of all a bike builder. I like coaster brakes mostly because I build more friction drive than anything else. I can drop a motor on top of the rear coaster brake and not worry about cable and brake levers positioning. I always put on a second brake for the front as a emergency brake but I have never needed it as such.

A friction drive I build will typically go about 20 mph or so. Get off the throttle and it starts bleeding speed immediately just from the engine drag. So I have to think that its more different strokes kind of thing than they are useless, or dangerous. Probably more they work for what they are, but don't work too good for what they aren't. I also hear the new wheels are not nearly as effective as the old one.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Please use these for coaster brake straps! I love these. I had an accident when the original bolt/strap broke, and the bike pedaled me!

Conduit straps with rubber pad, and machine screw for the bolt.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I think it depends more on skill and experience. I could ride the box it came in lol.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the coaster brake's not the problem, it's the brand that makes it. if you buy a bike from a toy store that costs as much as a carton of smokes, it's gonna have a brake worth about as much as a 12 pack of shasta cola.

i run coasters on all my bikes, as well as front drums, but the rear brakes don't fail, won't sieze, and they weren't made in china by 8 year olds or black market scandavian women trying to buy back their passports.

bendix, shimano, sachs, velosteel, new departure, and suntour coasters rule.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Nope.......disc-brakes rule! They just do.

dnut

the coaster brake's not the problem, it's the brand that makes it. if you buy a bike from a toy store that costs as much as a carton of smokes, it's gonna have a brake worth about as much as a 12 pack of shasta cola.

i run coasters on all my bikes, as well as front drums, but the rear brakes don't fail, won't sieze, and they weren't made in china by 8 year olds or black market scandavian women trying to buy back their passports.

bendix, shimano, sachs, velosteel, new departure, and suntour coasters rule.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I agree with Bairdco,
A lot of the people who bash coaster brakes have never used or seen a good one. They are not equal. Open them up for a look and you'll see these cheap little bearings in the Chinese brakes. Open up a Sachs, Bendix, etc. and you've got some real parts in there. Keep it greased and they will last forever.
Scotto,
We don't all of us race or can afford disc brakes. On some bikes the conversion to disc is no simple matter, say on a vintage cruiser where they just don't look right anyway. The question isn't what is best, but what works in what situation. No debate about stopping power potentially being superior with disc brakes, but I get tired of all coaster brakes being considered the same. They aren't. I'd rather have a good coaster brake than a crap disc brake. Rather have a good disc brake than a crap coaster brake. Whatever kind of brake you use, let it be well made. Even the pads on a V brake can make a big difference... Kool Stops vs. whatevers.
SB

RandyWhite

Jul 23, 2011
Idaho
I'm glad to see that everyone who posted on this topic completely missed the whole point of the post.

I'm sure there are coaster brakes that are worth using.

I'm disc brakes are quite nice.

I'm sure there are better ways to secure coaster brake arms.

However, the point of the post was for people who are considering a Cranbrook, to upgrade away from this bike in part because of the coaster brake.

Can anyone here actually recommend the Cranbrook as a good bike to build on without adding more brakes to it? For the $20 more, get front and rear brakes already there. Spend the money on better pads.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Brakes on a bicycle to me are more important than gas, if you run out of gas you can stop the bike. If your brakes fail...................................>

jokesonu

Aug 23, 2010
Moses Lake Wa
I'm glad to see that everyone who posted on this topic completely missed the whole point of the post.

I'm sure there are coaster brakes that are worth using.

I'm disc brakes are quite nice.

I'm sure there are better ways to secure coaster brake arms.

However, the point of the post was for people who are considering a Cranbrook, to upgrade away from this bike in part because of the coaster brake.

Can anyone here actually recommend the Cranbrook as a good bike to build on without adding more brakes to it? For the $20 more, get front and rear brakes already there. Spend the money on better pads.
I didn't miss the point of your post and you are quite right. I also didn't miss the elitist attitudes of some people and we are after all talking about toys right? I mean really. It's a hobby and some people go way over the top about it. It's almost like the old honda vs harley cheap jap junk vs Milwaukee iron thing. Do we get to wear 1%er patches or something?? I seriously have more money wrapped up in my camera bag than any bike I've seen on here. Try to keep it clean folks. A my bikes better than your bike p***ing match. What a joke. Get real.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Walmart bikes have come a long way but they are still bottom of the pile. :) The brand doesn't bother me. I have 2 WM bikes anyway. They are what they are. I tow my kid with one, and do road rides on the other. But they aren't fine machines, and the wheels have cheap spokes. They are good garage sale stuff though. Cheers!