Couple Of Q's. Clutch Puller, Gaskets, Replacement Clutch Pads...

GoldenMotor.com

dimentio

Jan 5, 2013
philadelphia
Hey all, long time no see. I've been trying to keep tinkering with my motors in the hopes of becoming better. Lately my motor has been making a loud whirring (whining?) noise when I release the clutch. Is this a sign of having to replace the clutch pads? It's really loud, I can hear it over the motor... (Only sounds when the clutch is released, not held) Also, I bought a clutch puller to check out the clutch disk on a different motor. How does one go about using that tool? And my final question is, instead of buying a super expensive cylinder head to get better compression, is it possible to add an extra head gasket to add more space between the piston and head? Or is that the exact opposite of adding compression?

dimentio

Jan 5, 2013
philadelphia
I would also like to know the purpose of a centrifugal clutch, and whether or not it is beneficial to have. I did a few searches on here but I can't find a cut-to-the-chase answer

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome back. Glad you've returned and still riding.

Noise: Have to lubricated the clutch actuating parts. The pin and ball bearing that goes in the engine drive sprocket? How about the gears on the right side? Worn clutch pads don't usually cause noise unles they are completely worn away in which case the clutch would slip so bad that it wouldn't pull the bike.

The tool you have is not for removing the clutch parts. It's made to remove the drive sprocket. You only need a small screwdriver to disassemble the clutch to change pads.

Adding a head gasket will decrease compression.

Tom

dimentio

Jan 5, 2013
philadelphia
Ah I see, thanks. Do I need to remove the clutch disk (Not the outer one, the one that holds the actual pads) in order to replace the pads or can I do it with just the silver cover thing removed? And how about that centrifugal clutch? Is it worth having? And I guess from what you're saying, the less space the piston has between itself and the head, the more power, right? And I have one last question. My Voodoo muffler is spitting out this tan-colored liquid (Looks like liquid poop). Why is this? It's getting all over my rear forks....

Last edited: