Just stopped running mid ride

GoldenMotor.com

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Hey guys ,was riding Bella ( typical 80cc chinagirl) cruising to a meeting when all of a sudden she stalled out mid throttle

I did the pull the plug check for fouling and clean her , she seems to have good compression and plenty of fuel flow ,I'm yet to pull the carby and check the jet to see if it's clogged ,the spark lead seems fine but I'm guessing either the coil ( mag) or CDI has given out would this be correct ?

And how does one check for spark without holding the lead and getting a buzz ,I tried this but damned if it's a difficult task by ones self in the middle of a bright day

I'll try pulling the plug and earthing her this evening to see if that's the issue but apart from thee typical fuel spark compression I'm lost
Any help would be appreciated

Regards Henshooten:-||

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
So I've just pulled the mag off and as you can see from the pics the wires are fairly snapped and they only have three or four strands left holding the charge to send to the CDI ,my question is weather this would have caused the CDI to malfunction and essentially self destroy ,can't seem to find my ohms reader so loaning one from a mate and will test tonight ,and due to an ignorant officer of the law slapping a canary on our lancer ( long story ) Bella is my only transport

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hen,

If your ohm reading tells you the magneto coil is good you can resolder those wires. Just strip them back about 1/4" to get new clean wire with all the strands and solder them back to the mag posts. Check your ohm readings again after soldering.

"slapping a canary on our lancer" Must be one of those Aussie things like, "toss back a few stubbys" :)

Tom

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Get a crack-pipe lighter and some solder and do what 2door sez. Also: buy a spare; I ALWAYS keep one in my kit.

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
"slapping a canary on our lancer" Must be one of those Aussie things like, "toss back a few stubbys" :)

Tom
Lol it means because there was no airbag fitted after an senior Sargent from our local cop shop told told us we could legally remove it ,we got pulled over and our car was deemed un roadworthy ,the canary refers to the big yellow unfit to drive sticker they place on the windscreen

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
An "unfit-to-drive" sticker, eh? We should equip our local police with a pad full of those. In my travels though my neighborhood (full of rednecks and true Hoosiers) I have not-surprisingly seen a number of "automobiles" which are on some form of life support, and using extremely unorthodox and creative means to keep them moving forward, well past their normal life spans.
Ordinarily, I'd just say that if the owner wants to kill himself in that thing, that's his choice. But when some of them tool around the town faster than I would have expected their clunkers to go, forcing us to share the road with them (and cross our fingers, and/or pray), I rather imagine it's time for the cops to tell them it's no longer a real car until they fix some things.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
An "unfit-to-drive" sticker, eh? We should equip our local police with a pad full of those. In my travels though my neighborhood (full of rednecks and true Hoosiers) I have not-surprisingly seen a number of "automobiles" which are on some form of life support, and using extremely unorthodox and creative means to keep them moving forward, well past their normal life spans.
Ordinarily, I'd just say that if the owner wants to kill himself in that thing, that's his choice. But when some of them tool around the town faster than I would have expected their clunkers to go, forcing us to share the road with them (and cross our fingers, and/or pray), I rather imagine it's time for the cops to tell them it's no longer a real car until they fix some things.
"Unfit-to-drive" stickers:
Hmmmm. What if instead of just the police having them, we all did?
Then we could plaster them on those bad driver's side of their windshields, blocking their view to tell the driver that he/she is, "Unfit-To-Drive". I hope those stickers are cheap. I'm going to need a few.

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
"Unfit-to-drive" stickers:
Hmmmm. What if instead of just the police having them, we all did?
Then we could plaster them on those bad driver's side of their windshields, blocking their view to tell the driver that he/she is, "Unfit-To-Drive". I hope those stickers are cheap. I'm going to need a few.

Tom
A few hundred thousand you mean...
You can't swing a cat here in Memphis without hitting some POS hillbilly pickemup truck running straight pipes and leaving an oil trail on the road.
I had one guy who actually oiled my windshield with his leaking junkpile as I followed him on I240.
Sad but true.

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Over here in Melbourne Au all vehicles must have roadworthy certification , every aspect of the vehicle needs to be deemed safe by a governing organisation or it will simply not qualify for registration , for example our vehicle has a scratch that is approx 2 inches on the passengers side windscreen ,it has been deemed to be unsafe as it apparently hinders the drivers view
Aswell any vehicle that is purchased automatically waives any registration and must be taken to a Rwc registered mechanic to be completely worked over ,this is where dodgy mechanics tack on anything they can to make money ,even so much so as a good friend had a roadworthy certificate denied because his passengers seat had a tear in the upholstery , it's tough aswell for owners that have older or vintage builds , they simply get denied certification for silly minor things and eventually give up ,hence the roads are full of these plastic crap cars ,long gone are the days of the cortina , falcons and kings woods that were built tough and of metal sigh

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Well a huge thanks to 2Door and Maniac 57 for their insight into diagnosing the problem with Bella ,turns out it was the coil ,I decided to do an autopsy on the old coil and found it to be full of manufacture junk ,so much so there was grit ( metal shavings ) inside the wrap that were not possible to be an err after addition , and yep she had fried ,slapped on a new coil and she runs sweeter than ever ,a slight reduction in speed but I believe it had something to do with a slight over feed of the coil due to the metal filings

Another successful fix thanks to the great and friendly advice from you guys and I can't express how grateful I am

Kindest regards Henshooterdance1

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Good for you, Hen. We're always happy when a problem gets solved.
Thanks for letting us know how things worked out.
Have fun, ride safe.

Tom