new kit came

GoldenMotor.com

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
got an Ez Qmatic setup today for the roadmaster build i'm doing. By the first look at it its def really simple yet effective and its well built. I'll let yall know how it goes

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Thankyou for your initial analysis. I really like all three of those traits you mentioned: "simple yet effective and it's well built". I've learned while reading about the EZM Qmatic that there were problems in the simple design that took a foundation of years of experience and insightful knowledge to overcome. I learned that a simple machine is in a way more complex to build than one with many parts. What do you think about the 2.7 to 1 transmission ratio with that 11 tooth output sproket? Thanks again. I'll be folowing your thread. I was a little bit surprised to see that you're building a four stroke instead of a two stroke.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
no i'm not an ez dealer and i def didnt pay retail. Zean, I am actually building it for justin at pirate cycles we are trying to build a production ez qmatic 48 roadmaster repop with custom tanks and all for sale hopefully someday. Heres a pic of the bike and tank

Last edited:

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Excuse me flybytaco. I bought "The American Bicycle" soft cover book at the thrift store. Your bike is in there. Everything the same as your's except different black handlebar grips without the streamers. Please let me quote, "One of the first industrial designers to utter the words 'planned obsolescence' was Brook Stevens who designed this Roadmaster (1952 Roadmaster Luxury Liner Cleveland Welding Company) His meaning was 'better more desirable products each season so customers can't resist upgrading.' In this case it meant a Shockmaster coiled-spring front fork, chrome-trimmed horn tank, rear carrier with taillights, and a Searchbeam headlight which was unusualy powerful and tempted kids to stay out after dark." Where do you find these bikes? I think there is a parallel in the marketing strategy between Stevens and Justin. Also, Justin has chosen a designer, judging from your two stroke builds, who lives and breathes motorized bikes similar to the way Jimi Hendrix was with his guitar. I have an EZM kit on the way, I have to stop reading and start building. Thankyou.

Hi Zean,

The stock EZM Q-Matic has a 10 tooth #41 clutch output sprocket. A few dealers have ordered the #35 clutch and it has an 11 tooth sprocket.

Sure am watching this build using the Roadmaster, as I have a 1948 Roadmaster with a Whizzer motor in my collection.

Here is a picture of a Whizzer motor in a Roadmaster [not mine]

Have fun,

Attachments

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Hi Zean,

The stock EZM Q-Matic has a 10 tooth #41 clutch output sprocket. A few dealers have ordered the #35 clutch and it has an 11 tooth sprocket.

Sure am watching this build using the Roadmaster, as I have a 1948 Roadmaster with a Whizzer motor in my collection.

Here is a picture of a Whizzer motor in a Roadmaster [not mine]

Have fun,
Man, that is one clean build.....thanks for sharing the pic Q. That thing looks brand spankin new....super sano!

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Thankyou Quenton Guenther for the correction on the specs of the EZM Q-matic Transmission and the picture of a 1948 Roadmaster with a Whizzer motor both. In the future I'll be more careful about writing incorrect and/or inadequate information concerning EZM. Your picture helps to confirms a thought that one of the reasons these late 1940's and 1950's bicycles were built so strong was to encourage the owners to install a gasoline motor in the frame. Thanks again.

Hi zean,

I agree, the vintage bikes are so well made that motors appear to be part of the original plan.

I still have 6 vintage [1948 to 1951] motorbikes bikes in my collection, and the ride is completely different than my later model versions. I have 6 new edition motorbikes [1999 to 2008], and the ride just doesn't have the solid feel of the older bikes.

BTW............... I once owned 2 additional Whizzers, however Jay Cruise [& Bonnie] now own them. Maybe he will post photos of the Ivory 1949 [1st place winner Portland, IN].

Have fun,

Last edited:

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
Hi zean,

I agree, the vintage bikes are so well made that motors appear to be part of the original plan.

I still have 6 vintage [1948 to 1951] motorbikes bikes in my collection, and the ride is completely different than my later model versions. I have 6 new edition motorbikes [1999 to 2008], and the ride just doesn't have the solid feel of the older bikes.

BTW............... I once owned 2 additional Whizzers, however Jay Cruise [& Bonnie] now own them. Maybe he will post photos of the Ivory 1949 [1st place winner Portland, IN].

Have fun,
Here a link to the pics:

49 J pictures by jbcruisin - Photobucket

Last edited:

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Boy Howdy, I would pay some money to experience the difference in the bike ride between the later model versions and the older bikes. The difference is more than just the weight isn't it? Thankyou flybytaco for giving me some space in your thread. I'm still learnin.