$70,000 electric bike

GoldenMotor.com

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Funny....
My bike cost me $2000 and i can go 80 miles at 20mph and it weighs 80lbs.

I guess I have better Design skills...

I'm not paying 70k just because it's only 40lbs... That's just nuts.

nidyanazo

May 25, 2010
SoCal
Funny....
My bike cost me $2000 and i can go 80 miles at 20mph and it weighs 80lbs.

I guess I have better Design skills...

I'm not paying 70k just because it's only 40lbs... That's just nuts.

Well it does go 60mph.
Not worth the price, but amazing work no matter how you slice it.
Watch the video and you get to see all the details.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
One of those motors and controlers and a couple battery pacs and I'd be set,though KIM has a kickier one in the works at this time and it will probley out run that one

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
The thing that gets me is really there's nothing really new there and what I can't figure out is with all that they couldn't sacrifice adding a few pounds to put a suspension on it?

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
The thing that gets me is really there's nothing really new there and what I can't figure out is with all that they couldn't sacrifice adding a few pounds to put a suspension on it?
I rode a carbon fiber bicycle for about 7 years. It had a carbon fiber wheel set on it also. I once broke the frame and while I was waiting on the warranty replacement frame a friend let me use his bike, only catch, I had to use my own wheel set. I went from a full suspension, carbon fiber frame bike to a hard tail but the hard tail had my carbon fiber wheel set on it. It rode like a soft tail. The carbon fiber flexes and would probably make that bike feel like it had a little bit of suspension to it.

With the info at this site and this site How I built a carbon bike frame at home (and a bamboo frame too) I think a carbon fiber e-bike could be built for a LOT less than 70k.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I always thought CF had to be cured under a vacuum with heat. Never knew you could just work it like fiberglass.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Pimobility (formerly Electrobike) used to make a freeway-legal hybrid (2-stroke + electric + Nuvinci) bicycle. Top speed 75+MPH and over 200mpg. They were "only" $18k and in very limited production.

The company still sells e-bikes, but they are toned down from what they used to be. PiCycle - Pimobility if anyone wants to check it out.

longhair

Mar 24, 2009
eagle rock
OMG! I don't care what mileage it gets, craftsmenship, etc......... I'm gonna mortage my Moms house and get one of those bikes! For $70000 it's a steal!!!!! Hahahahaha Idiots!

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
I always thought CF had to be cured under a vacuum with heat. Never knew you could just work it like fiberglass.
I don't know a whole lot about autoclaved cf, we do vacuum bag molding cf where I work. I know you can get more accurate shapes in the autoclave and I'm guessing more accurate density etc.

cheers!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
For 70,000 I could use the money for a custom build and be fine, with a whole bunch of money left over. Oh I would not mind owning that bike! 70,000, uh uh .

Some of us could have peddled next to that bike in the video. J could'a opened it up a little:D

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
It was a nice electric ,but with Jay involved ,I wonder if there was some joke going on too,although it would be tip change too him ,maybe the price

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I like his giant roadster. I remember seeing it on TV when the old guy built it out of a firetruck and powered it with an air cooled V-12 tank engine. Apparently Jay did too and decided he had to own it. lol