Stripped intake thread

GoldenMotor.com

Bushman

Jul 11, 2010
Grantsburg, Wisconsin
I just stripped out the 6mm thread in my head for the intake. The Loctite must have come lose. What would be the best way to repair it? I am trying JB Weld and letting it set up over night.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Bushman,
Depending on the extent of the injury to the threads, the CORRECT way to repair the threads is a heli-coil, wherein you drill the boogered threads out with the bit supplied in the helicoil kit, rethread to a larger size, screw in a new thread "coil" and you have your 6 mm thread's back, very effective and will hold more torque that the threaded aluminum. If you feel comfortable doing this, go to a tool supply ask for a 6mm X 100(most likely) heli-coil kit, comes with a insert tool, a drill bit, a tap and usually about 6 inserts (for future repairs), if you don't feel OK with this, take it to a machine shop and have them do it, after you do the first one, it's a no-brainer. JB weld has some good applications for some things, thread repair isn't one of them.

Mac

P.S. Bring the stud with you so you get the right kit.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
The JB didn't work. I will install a helicoil today. I think that will do the trick.
Heli coil won't work either as the hole needed to insert heli coil will need to be larger then the 6mm stud, and there is not enough material to support the stud.

I have a solution I'm working on, I took some pictures now I need to post them in my photobucket site to share.

Bushman

Jul 11, 2010
Grantsburg, Wisconsin
Yes you are right. There is not much room there for a helicoil. It turns out the hole was not tapped all the way to the bottom so I tapped it and got another 1/4" of thread. I applied Loctite and put the stud back in. It seems to be holding for now.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Yes you are right. There is not much room there for a helicoil. It turns out the hole was not tapped all the way to the bottom so I tapped it and got another 1/4" of thread. I applied Loctite and put the stud back in. It seems to be holding for now.
There are a couple of things that can be done..
1) Remove the 2 case screws, drill till you hit them. Tap the hole again, replace the case screws, locktite the engine mount bolt, and tighten till you hit the screws.

Here are a couple other choices.
Repair Front Mount pictures by Ron-Becker - Photobucket

Heli Coil is old school...think http://www.timesert.com/ if and when it can be used.

Last edited:

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
This thread was asking about a stripped INTAKE stud/threads, not a front mount issue, I have hei-coiled the intake, there is enough room, at least on my motor, suggest you put it a bit deeper, leave about 1/4" of no threads, works good.
Mac

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
This thread was asking about a stripped INTAKE stud/threads, not a front mount issue, I have hei-coiled the intake, there is enough room, at least on my motor, suggest you put it a bit deeper, leave about 1/4" of no threads, works good.
Mac
Dang I missed that (intake that is) I was thinking this was the front engine mount stud thread, another way is to go to a 1/4" 20. And yes a heli coil/time sert will work. Still you can remove the cylinder stud and drill and tap to it. Replace the cylinder stud, torque them down and install the intake stud/studs.