Cape Henlopen (Lewes, DE) Rally, Sept 18 & 19.

GoldenMotor.com

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Okay folks, here's some late info on the rally. As in the past two years, I have obtained permission to keep the bikes overnight in Battery 519 at Fort Miles (see photos below). Fort Miles is the WWII Coastal Artillery installation at Cape Henlopen. Battery 519 is an underground gun battery, under 30 feet of sand and 10 feet of concrete. It is currently under restoration, so I ask that we put newspaper or drip pans under the bikes to catch any oil that may drip from exhausts, breathers or whatever.
For those interested in a Battery 519 tour, there will be a "Lantern Tour" of the facility at 7pm on Saturday. The cost is $5 per person, with proceeds going towards the restoration. Also, we will need to have our bikes stowed in 519 by 7pm.

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Chris,
That's pretty cool that you can stow the bikes so securely. The picture looks very similar to the same kind of embankment at Fort McHenry in Baltimore where gun powder was stored among other things. Like Bill in Arizona, I'll be thinking of you guys this weekend and when I pop the lid on a can of Lost Lake beer I'll be thinking, "this Lost Lake's for you, bud!" Have a great time and stay safe.
SB

OCCstingray

May 3, 2009
Chester County, PA
The tour sounds like a good idea. Jay, yes that is her, I was allready on the other side of the hill when the picture was taken. On the other side of the hilll you can see the cannon pointed out of Battery 519 toward the water, amung other things.

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Not that it matters much but are these bikes legal to drive around in the state of delaware.trk
Truthfully, I don't know for certain, but we've never been bothered by police. Delaware's regulatons seem to treat the bikes as mopeds, and here is what DelDot has to say regarding them:

(a) Mopeds and tripeds shall not be operated upon interstate and limited access highways, even to cross such highways, nor shall they be operated on the right-of-way of an operating railroad, except to cross such railroad, nor shall they be operated on any path set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles unless the helper motor has been turned off.

(b) No person shall drive a moped or triped without having been licensed as an operator of a motor vehicle under this title. The licensee shall have such license in the licensee's immediate possession at all times when operating a moped or triped.

(c ) Regulations applicable to bicycles shall apply whenever a moped or triped is operated upon any public road or upon any path set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.

(d) Mopeds or tripeds shall be registered under regulations which shall be adopted by the Division of Motor Vehicles. The registration and reregistration fee for mopeds or tripeds shall be $5 for a 3-year registration period. Upon registration of a moped or triped, the Division of Motor Vehicles shall issue a decal or a distinctive number plate to be affixed to the moped or triped as indication of registration. (70 Del. Laws, c. 186, � 1; 70 Del. Laws, c. 208, � 1; 74 Del. Laws, c. 282, � 2.)

As you are not a Delaware resident, the Delaware registration would not apply to you.
One thing though, Delaware does have a helmet law. It is somewhat arcane. I don't even understand the reasoning behind this. It goes something like this:
You must have a helmet. It need not be worn, but must be carried on the bike if not being worn.

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
I had a great time at the East Coast Rally, but was a little bummed about the turnout not being as strong as I thought it would be. Still, we had an interesting array of bikes, including a Garelli Moped and a vintage Honda C102 (Honda 50). The weather was glorious, and the company of fellow enthusiasts was outstanding. An interesting development was that only two 2-stroke bikes were present at the event. All the others were 4-strokes.
We were able to store bikes in the restored WWII Coastal Artillery Battery (Battery 519) at Fort Miles (the entire park was Fort Miles during WWII), and on Sunday morning I treated some of our group to the "nickel tour" of the facility.
On Saturday we took a ride into Lewes and stopped at the Irish Eyes Pub and Restaurant for lunch. While we were inside (actually on the deck) a bunch of Harley riders same up and parked with our bikes. They spent a fair amount of time looking them over, then came out to watch us when we fired ours up to leave after lunch. On Saturday afternoon Jay led a group of riders (actually the majority of the group) on a ride to Rehoboth and back. Only a few of us stayed behind (myself included) to keep an eye on "Rally Central". I will post photos from the event once I have resized them. Stay tuned...

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Here are some photos from the event. The first photo is of a partial line up of the bikes. The second shot is of my EZ bike with the new 64-tooth sprocket and hub adaptor from Creative Engineering. His stuff is a true work of art!
The third shot is of Bob Mac's OCC Stingray powered by a 66cc GruBee, and the fourth shot is jbcruisin's '49 Whizzer. The fifth shot is of Jay from Massachusettes on his Honda 50.

Attachments

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Here are some more photos. First is a shot of jbcruisin's '99 Whizzer with his '49 Whizzer and my EZ bike behind. The second shot is of my 2005 Whizzer, and the third shot is of OCCStingray's OCC Stingray. The fourth shot is Fossil's 2000 Whizzer, while the fifth shot is of his HF 79cc powered '57 Schwinn Corvette.

Attachments

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Here are a few more shots. First photo is anothe shot of my Whizzer. The second shot is of "Rally Central", while the third shot is of jbcrusin in a Rasta cap (complete with dreds) standing next to RusticoRay's "Kermit and friend". Next is another shot of "Kermit" on RusticoRay's bike, and the last shot is of Bob Mac's really cool rig.

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Chris,
Thanks for sharing the photos. I sure do wish I could have been there and seen my "Indian" sitting there in the lineup with the sidecar next to it. As things stand I am still waiting on a couple parts for it and have yet to ride it. While the turnout may not have been what you had hoped for, there were some really fine rides and I'm sure you guys had a memorable time. One of my very favorites is your brother Jim's 57 Corvette. That is one good looking bike. He took the lowly Greyhound to new heights. Woof!
SB

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
It was great to see my fellow Motorized Bicycle Builders at the 2010 East Coast Rally, I too wished there could have been a larger turnout.

Most of the guy's there were MotorBicycling.com forum members, however there were some who were not forum members, I brought my cousin Tim the Electrical Contractor & more importantly my better half Allie.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to visit with everyone a little longer, my lil 50cc 4-stroke engines one with pedals and three engines without pedals drew some curious eyes and questions.

I really loved the Lil Honda PC 50 scooter/moped with pedals, this engine is the predecessor for the Chinese Cloned Honda CRF 50cc ATV/Dirt Bike & Honda Mini Trail 50cc engines that I have and am using on my OCC Stingray & XYZ BIkes XL Chopper & Stretch Cruisers.

Overall I had a great time talking with everyone & checking out the different builds.

Here's a pic of myself on the Honda PC 50, The T-shirt I'm wearing say's "Try burning This One XXXXXXX" I get thumbs up from people when I wear it!

Here's the Pic notice the Tower in background these World War II observation towers run up & down the entire Coast of Delaware!

Hope to see everyone at the 2011 East Coast Rally, again next year!

I have a few more pic's of the bikes that were at the Rally on my photobucket page in the Motorized Bicycle Rally Album here's the Link:
Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Peace Joe. aka Crazy Horse.

Fossil

Mar 15, 2008
Guthriesville Pa
It was good seeing you too. I can't wait to see what you do with the 50cc pedal engine. That combination has so much potential for all these custom frame builders on the forum. Hope to see you again at Jay's rally next August with a unique build.

Jim

Bob Mac 18704

Jan 24, 2010
penna.
.rd. It was nice meeting all of you. Yes, their was some really great bikes there. The wizzers are definitely the cream of the crop. I even got to take one for a ride,thanks. It's actually nice to ride down there. Their are bike lanes on every road and the larger roads have a whole right turn lane to ride in. I'm looking forward to an even longer ride next year. Maybe next year the ride to the bike show in ocean city would be an option. I think we would have been a real hit there. The only thing with that would be we would have to get an earlier start. Now that winter is on it's way I might consider putting a four stroker together to keep my mind off of the cold weather. After pricing a worksman classic and the motor I might have to remorgage my house. The $300.00 gas tank from pirate cycles really puts it over the top.

RusticoRay

Oct 3, 2009
6mi. from the Old North Bridge
I had a good time at the rally and the group that was there were were all about motorized bikes, that I like. Sorry I left on saturday evening but had to stop in N.J. to pick up more bikes ha ha. I drove back to Mass. and arrived early sunday and slept for most of the day. Ill post some pics later. Thanks to all that were there and for those who orginized the event.

OCCstingray

May 3, 2009
Chester County, PA
The event was great. The ride to Rehobeth was also great (thanks Ray for letting me ride the moped). Thanks Chris for the tour of Fort Miles, it has an interesting history. We left around noon Sunday, and hit traffic on the way home.