Rust look or painted Board tracker

GoldenMotor.com

suvete

Aug 10, 2009
Tucson AZ
I dont know if I sould leave the insta rust look or go with a nice paint job. What do you all think. I do need an old looking graphic for the tank. I did lean the seat back more and made a heaver duty gas tank. I had a really good wipe out on the last turn at the Death Race 2010. Lots of beef jerky on my hip. Good thing for the rest of the safety gear.

Attachments

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
If you want it to look like you just pulled it out of a barn, then leave it like it is. But, you have a lot of good detail that would really shine with a coat of paint. May I suggest a bright red frame and a contrasting white tank with red lettering? Perhaps British racing green or Lemon Peeler yellow?

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
is the engine made iron or aluminum...if its pot metal you can use salt and vinegar or uratic acid...if its aluminum it will oxidize...kinda white...i'm in the sign business and we have rusted signs for customers...interior signage...but after the desired effect, coat it with clear...clear lexan, like a small windshield high lights great...Dennis

K-dregg

Apr 20, 2010
Sweden
Keep it rusty.. It gives your ride caracther, like it has a story to tell.
I would use some steelwool to bring out the raw steel on areas that would be worn, like the top tube and teh side of the tanks towards the rear.. You could take a rag with some light oil on it and wipe it down,then dry it of with some paper. that makes the rust look better.. Wheels and motor seems to age fine by by general use..

Nice build!

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
I love the vintage rusty look, I would get a faded commercial looking Acme Standard painted on the sides or a Texaco gas station or Mobil painted on it. After having it painted you can easily age it by scuffing it with 400 grit wet or dry paper very lightly.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm at the same point even though my Schwinn Jaguar isn't in the same class as your fine ride. I just pulled the Yamaha tank off today and started getting it ready for paint but there is this fine rust patina and a couple of dints and I almost want to just leave it that way and try to make the rest of the bike match. I have some gun metal 'browning' that I tried on a small spot on the engine and it made it look about 50 years old. If I can get the alloy rims to match I think I might go with the vintage 'rat rod' look and save the labor of a good paint job. I'll tell people it was a 'barn find' and pass it off as vintage iron...:)
Tom

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
I think I am leaning towards the unaltered weathered look also. I don't think I would even try to buff up the wear areas, ride it and let the burnished areas appear on their own. I'm not sure how to address the worn graphics for the tank. Maybe a stencil and spray paint would give you some control over how vivid you want the graphics (an airbrush would do nicely for this). Nice looking machine.
*edit
Just thinking back to art school, here is another thought. If you go with spray paint you could daub some random specs and blotches of rubber cement before you paint. When the paint cures the rubber cement or masking agent is removed, instant chipped decal.

Last edited: