Additional GX35 Muffling?

GoldenMotor.com

bigoilbob

Dec 15, 2013
St. Louis, Missouri
New 2 the forum, but tried 2B a good Doobie and search first. Came up short.

I have a GX35 equipped Bikee E2 tandem, with power transmitted via Staton 18.75 gearbox, to a NuVinci 171 hub, with auto trans. I will post my overlong build explanation and vids soon. Problem is, it's loud for my tandemeer. I know the GX35 is not known as overloud, but it's an issue for my wife and I. And no, she does not wish to wear earplugs. Don't blame her.

Any ideas for extra muffling? FYI, I have honestly tried searching, on the "other" forum, and elsewhere. No practical ideas found, but I just can't believe that this need is not shared, to some extent, by others.

Thx for reading, no matter what.

bigoilbob

Dec 15, 2013
St. Louis, Missouri
Hey Mike B, good 2 meet U, and thanks 4 both the post and the link. MI wrong in assuming that your Happy Time is a 2 stroke? It might have been right in front of me, but I then missed it. And IM ignorant of HT's otherwise.

So, F it IS a 2 stroke, I would just need the muffler and connective hardware 4 my GX35, right? And since UR obviously knowledgeable, a couple ?s. Is there any way I can keep my current muffler/spark arrestor? More generally, any specifics on installation? My idea was to come off the muffler/spark arrestor (somehow) with silicone hose, run it to the muffler (attached 2 my engine mount) and hook it up (again, somehow). I know this is incomplete/downright wrong, so feel free to set me straight, or provide specifics.

FYI, your muffler comes well recommended. After hearing of it on the "other" forum twice, I mentioned it 2 Mrs. bigoilbob, and got it in my Xmas stocking! $10-11 I think, and it looks like she got taken for even that.

Thx once more.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I would braze it. You can get low temp phosphor bronze rod at the hardware store and this will braze copper to steel. Yes, braze it right to your stock muffler and run both mufflers. Yes the happy time is a 2 stroke, but mufflers don't care they just reduce noise.

bigoilbob

Dec 15, 2013
St. Louis, Missouri
@Mike B, is this true?

"Silphos contains phosphorus.
Phosphorus is not intended for use with steel.
It might stick to steel, but it causes the steel to become brittle. It's a leak, waiting to happen.
Use 45% instead, with the proper paste flux"

Please note that IM NOT questioning your expertise (lot's of thin skins on that "other" forum). I just ran across this. IM askin' BECAUSE of that expertise.

Thx again.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like you are going to braze up the boiler in your house.

Not like CO gas is going to leak into your enclosed car.

Not even providing structural support of any substance, just attaching copper to steel and melts higher than exhaust gas temp so the joint won't melt like if you soldered it.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
If you want the really good stuff (very low melting point ~1500F) you need to go internet.

The problem here is copper melts at 1950F and the high strength brazing alloys are up around 1800. Which doesn't give you much room between when the metal is hot enough to braze and when the fittings melt.

It seems I was incorrect though, the rod I bought at the hardware store was this;

http://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-N...g-Welding/dp/B0000CBJGM/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_text_y

This melts at 1680, so you have about 300 degrees of comfort zone. The copper will have to be cherry red to melt the rod at about orange color it melts. The steel you don't have to worry about.