Baffle Mod

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I started out with the Livefast 55cc econokit muffler with a tack-y welded baffle made of very very thin galvanized sheet. (photo 1)

I deleted the stock baffle and replaced it with a "Chore Boy" type steel mesh scouring pad, inserted into the muffler can length-wise. (photo 2) One will do, I got a pack of three for 1.68.

I used the old cordless and a 10mm socket to run the threaded rod down through the "packing" (photo 3) and then loctited the whole works together.

The only down side to this experiment is that I won't be running the engine for at least a few days.:rolleyes:

May experiment later with larger outlet area and more packing(s).

Attachments

Last edited:

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Choreboy, not just for cleaning crack pipes anymore!rotfl Oh yea they make good pot scrubbers too!:D Keep us posted I have the epa muffler and it's really restrictive! I've been thinkin' similar!

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Choreboy, not just for cleaning crack pipes anymore!rotfl Oh yea they make good pot scrubbers too!:D Keep us posted I have the epa muffler and it's really restrictive! I've been thinkin' similar!

I figured if they stuff it in crack pipes and light the crack with those little propane torches, it would surely stand up to some two stroke smoke!:ride:

I know 000 steel wool burns like the dickens, and fibreglass insulation fills up with oil way too fast.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Anyone with a running bike can try it...it takes 5 minutes to do.

I won't have this one up and running for a few more days.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Seems like that one's easier to work with than the longer skinnier ones. I don't think I can get the baffle out of mine.

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
i tried something like this with a can a packed it with steel wool and some baffles, then stuck it over the end of the stock pipe with the engine running and it didn't make it any quieter. just now i took the guts out of the stock pipe and rode it and it works much better (as everyone has said) but for me it made it stop four cycling and the rpms when higher

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Steel wool will burn.

Yes, this type of pipe is easy to work with, which is good, I have four of them.

I plan on setting up the carb to run properly with the packing the way it is as a baseline. I am working on some other stuff...uh, I can't tell you or you know what will happen.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Well, considering you just said you were working on something and won't show us till it's done, now we have to bother you to hurry and get it done because we want to see :)

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
O.K., it's a muffler extension pipe that goes between the header and the muffler after you cut it.
Also a tank cover.
Also some "other stuff".

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Cool. I've got a few projects of my own I'd like to do.

I did an extension pipe out of 3/4" conduit I found in my backyard. Didn't have a bender though, so I had to use a hammer and the edge of the driveway...looks like crap. Apparently the flex conduit works well..

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I took some radiator tubing and ran it to a lawn mower muffler. (after the guts fell out of my stock chinagirl muffler) Made an awesome sound!!! but lost power big time. But man it sounds cool!!!! I have to work on this, but choreboy and tubing gives it a "THUMP THUMP THUMP" sound.