Head leak

GoldenMotor.com

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Marc, the japanese motorcycles are known far and wide for NOT leaking oil.
...and unlike the old days of owning a harley, which continuously seeped, leaked, and dripped oil, when it was in healthy condition, owners of these imports of the new breed actually became upset when there was even a little bit of oil to be seen on their engine.

A number of years ago I read of a method to locate very small leaks, and seepage.

First the engine was cleaned, then de-greased, and dried thoroughly.
The engine was then dusted with talcum powder and run in position until it warmed up.

Evidence of a seep, no matter how small could be located in this manner, no matter how clean the oil was.

Of course there is very small chance you could ever achieve that level of surface mating with a chinagirl, but this method could lead you in the right direction.

My guess would be the oil is coming from the sparkplug gasket, coming up through the headbolt holes from a leak in the head gasket, or it could even be a flaw in the cylinder head casting. The last is not beyond reason, yet improbable in light of the first two options.

Good luck
rc

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
My guess that it is from the spark plug. One of my engines doesn't seal too well and oil sometimes comes out from where the spark plug meets the engine head. Make sure your plug is tight.

hilton_marc

Sep 27, 2012
Liversedge

i will give that a try tomorrow :) and let you know the result , although the spark plug was on there the tightest it could be. Im thinking about getting a new spark plug currently the one i got is GNT E6T Chinese one i think.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Although it is an often ignored rule, spark plug gaskets are actually designed to be a throw away item. Use it, torque it once then replace it if the plug is removed.
Yes, I know, most folks don't do this but if the gasket has been seated (crushed) it can and will loose it's ability to seal properly. And it gets worse each time you remove the plug.

Also spark plugs must be tight, not finger tight, not just snug but torqued properly. Some rely on a torque wrench and others just have a 'feel' for how tight. 80 to 100 inch pounds is sufficient for a Chinese 2 stroke. It should be checked after a few heat/cool cycles

Tom