Stripped exhaust threads

GoldenMotor.com

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
If a stud doesn't tighten up there are only three things that come into play (assuming you are using the correct size stud) and that is the stud is not bottomed out, or the stud or stud hole is stripped. When putting this cheap junk together, unless you chase the threads before instillation, I recommend measuring the depth of the hole, and compare with the remaining length of the stud sticking out. This way you will know if the stud bottomed out or just got tight. Personally I torque ALL my studs (6mm 50 inch pounds) and (8mm to 150 inch pounds) then I back them off 1/4 to 1/2 turn. As far as backing off, some people say NO...it's my personal preference. I have never had a stud break, stretch (I use grade 8.8) or strip out. Do it right the first time.
No where on the internet is it suggested to leave such a stud fastener backed off. I dare you to find it........
Probably doesn't, a stud (to me) is nothing but a headless bolt (and bolts are not bottomed out) that the head is installed at a later time. I don't like the idea of the expansion of the aluminum against the steel stud. To each his own. I guess that is why they make so many flavors of ice cream.

Last edited:

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
I hear you about knowing the depth. It's still holding tight.

You got any break in suggestions? It wants to run real smooth but it can only do it for a few seconds and then it craps out/4 strokes again. Is this the jet on the carb, another carb problem, bad plug, bad plug wire, CDI wire connectors, lousy exhaust pipe, or typical of a new engine and it must get beyond break in?