the chicken or the egg salad sandwich

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
okay it isn't that simple, I am an e bike guy these days. The question for an ebike guy at least this one is performance or range. In my case I can get pretty good performance with a controller that dumps at least thirty amps or more into the motor. I have over volted the motor in both cases, so I don't really know what the wattage is. I can use a 25amp controller I have and get much better range. So what's an old man to do.

I compromised I built two bikes. At least I'm going to rebuild one tomorrow for the smaller controller. I have thoroughly tested it and I think I will use the 600 watt motor even though it will only be running at about five hundred watts. I should be able to do some pedal assist as well. I really need the excercise but I also need a bike that I can hop on and ride it to the store or bank so I need one that will cook as well as one that will go a long way and let me workout a little. It's much more fun to ride the bike and pedal it now and then, than it is to walk in circles at the mall.

zabac70

Mar 17, 2010
Belgrade , Serbia
Deacon , we mentioned that before. You never measured consumption on your bikes , so you only know what are the max rating of your controllers. Guys that have SLA packs use anything between 20 - 35 Amps on start and about 6-8 Amps when in motion (up to 15 - 25 Amps on steep hills, depending on the weight). All that without pedaling. That goes for those few I know of with 36 V system and they all have the range few times bigger than yous. You have the shortest range I have ever heard off and I believe that that has something to do with inefficiencies in your system(s). For example , you have scooter motor on your friction drive, and the scooter , from which that motor came off, has much more range , even it is much heavier than your bike , with same Voltage. You can keep on experimenting with switching controllers, to see what is best for you, but I doubt that results will be much different (you use the same components in the same way , with the same (more or less) batteries).
That 30 Amp controller sounds best yet (for your hills) , but you need to address the other things ( get rid of inefficiencies , and/or change the battery pack(s)). Gearing on your chain drive bike might help (with 30 Amp controller) , but I know that you are reluctant to deal with sprockets (drilling , welding , centering...).
After all this philosophy , I don't know how to help you, regarding your question, because it's obvious that you need strong controller (30 Amps) for hills and that your pack isn't up the task (anyway , in that configuration of yours). Maybe other guys offer some ideas.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
LOL I didn't realize I asked anything. I thought I was making a comment on the effect of the controller on Bikes. It isn't all about the motor that was the point but I guess I didn't make that obvious enough. It seems to me building these bikes is like a woman dressing for today you cant just decide on a blue outfit you have to decide which top and which bottom go together best.

Well don't worry that was my last try at it.

Last edited:

zabac70

Mar 17, 2010
Belgrade , Serbia
Well , that's totally different matter. I prefer woman without any outfit, so no problems there about color or matching stuff...LOL
P.S. Again, my bad English, don't want to offend any ladies (than again , I've never offended any lady without clothing )

DannyBOY

Jul 18, 2010
Manchester
Well , that's totally different matter. I prefer woman without any outfit, so no problems there about color or matching stuff...LOL
P.S. Again, my bad English, don't want to offend any ladies (than again , I've never offended any lady without clothing )
LOL that made me laugh XDlaff