is there a way you can attach a sprocket without welding?

GoldenMotor.com

sourpeach

Dec 8, 2013
pennslyvannia
Hey, me and my dad don't have a welder and I want to attach a sprocket to the back wheel, (sorry if I'm not using the right terms, I'm kind of new to motorized bikes) is there any way to attach it without welding?

ANOTHER QUESTION: what size sprocket can I attach to my back wheel? its a 22 inch ( I think, I'll double check tomorrow.)

Thanks!

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
There's several ways to attach sprockets to the rear wheel. More information is needed. Such as what kind of engine are you using? What kind of bike? Post pictures as well.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
In fact, welding the sprocket to the wheel is the worst way. Don't try it!

As Jerry said, we need a lot more information to be able to offer any advice on how to install the sprocket. Help us help you.

Tom

paintgun

Nov 17, 2013
Illinois
I'm by no means an expert. Actually fairly new myself. But I have to also vote no on the welding. In my opinion, you would probably end up cooking the hub, bearings, etc. NOT GOOD. But let's just say you were able to weld it with no problems. Later on if you wanted to change sprocket sizes you would have to grind the weld loose. This could also destroy the wheel. I would just go with the stock setup. Good luck with your build.

Greg

sourpeach

Dec 8, 2013
pennslyvannia
thanks guys! I actually don't have a engine or anything to build a motorbike, im still trying to find a good chainsaw engine at Walmart and im buying some chains at my bike shop.
What are some good motor bike kits?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You'd be much better off buying a motorized bicycle engine kit than trying to convert a chainsaw engine to your bike unless you have metal working skills, tools and some mechanical experience.

You can check any of the forum sponsors for engine kits that will adapt to your bike and provide all of the hardware needed. You'll still need some tools but with help from this forum we'll get you on the road. Your bike size, 22" might present some problems. You might want to look into a bigger bike, preferably a 26". They make installing a kit easier for the first time builder.
Before starting your project you might want to check on your local laws pertaining to motorized bicycles. What is your age? Some places require that you have a valid motor vehicle driver's license to ride one legally.
Good luck. Let us know if we can help.

Tom

sourpeach

Dec 8, 2013
pennslyvannia
. What is your age? Some places require that you have a valid motor vehicle driver's license to ride one legally.
Good luck. Let us know if we can help.

Tom
My age is 14, a month until im 15.
In Pennsylvania, a class M driver's license is required for a motor-driven cycle.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/list_6827729_motorized-bicycle-laws-pennsylvania.html#ixzz2mw5jWRvF
but I got a huge yard with a forest trail that's private property so I can ride there.
I just asked my uncle if he has a old bike that he doesn't use and he said yes and will gladly give it to me. Lets hope that its a 26". I'll post a pic of it once I get it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Keep us informed and show us a picture of the bike. The 2 cycle engine kits are available from many sources and the price range runs from about $150 upward to a little over $200. They're all about the same but we always suggest to stick with a seller with a good reputation for customer service and after sale support.
The other alternative is to go with a 4 cycle (4 stroke) kit, either chain or friction drive. You'll get lots of opinions on which is best so you'll need to do some reading and decide for yourself what's best for you.
Good luck, keep us posted on your decisions and progress.

Tom

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
looks like we've already talked you out of welding a rear sprocket to a hub, but if you need another reason why it's a bad idea, you'd never be able to fix any broken spokes or re-lace the wheel with a fixed sprocket in the way.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
there is the whizzer method of a buncha little clamps holding a sheave to the spokes of the driven wheel... bicycle frme must be axed and re-welded to use this method, though.
Chinagirl is THE best way to get started in this.
rc