Two items that could save your life

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Not really aimed at you muddybike...rather at those members who seem to have all the answers about what we need to buy for a reliable bike.

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
One of the fun things about this hobby is finding better ways to do things. We all start with kits and the usual configuration for a build. Some of us move to "less conventional" approaches to eliminate weak points. Others innovate to enhance safety or speed like adding disc brakes, using BMX chains, and adding geared hubs. One thing is a fact, anything that adds drag to the drive train is going to rob HP from these little engines. If you can do without a tensioner, that's a plus. If you can't, that's ok too. Do what makes for the most fun and celebrate the variety in the sport.

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
Where this thread went wrong is when the OP named it.

If he had said "helmet and safety lights" he might have had a point. This thread is an opinion thead. And in my opinion cheap builds need to stay cheap an expensive builds should utilize those fancy parts. Does the bike "Need them in order to save my life?" Sounds like an overstatement to me.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
what I want to know is how do you get the bike to explain to the paramedics what happened along with the medication you're taking your blood type diabetes you know those kind of things that are critical to save ones life ,history of heart disease,history of suicide massive depression and let's not forget mental illness !!!!!!!

Last edited:

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
I never leave home without wearing a pair of underwear that have my name, most current address, blood type and known allergies.

SavageBlunts904

May 9, 2012
Orange Park, Fl
fyi the springer tensioner is GARBAGE with the stock spring. if you get a 40lb custom spring for it. gravy. perfect tension with no repercussions and yes I learned the hard way. but the spring made it work like it "should" or at least the idea of it. good spring good times although a solid tensioner mount is a much better rout. I just had to adapt what I had already paid for ya know.

karryhunt

Apr 17, 2010
South Florida...brrr
First off I have to agree with other posters knock it off with the oversized blue txt pls.
Second while I do agree the hub adapters are very nice to have I don't think they are mandatory in anyway shape or form.
Oh and I have the kip tentioner and I think it 100% overprice garbage I so wish there was some kind of return policy for junk.
The included spring is way to soft and fails quickly.
When I think of how I spent over 100$<with shipping> on that and how that is 1/2 the price of a new kit , and or 1/2 the price of a shift kit it makes me /facepalm.
Junk junk junk
There I feel better.
I never said they were mandatory. I simply said the tensioner and hub adapters made the installation much easier and safer than the rag joint and tensioner that comes with the kit. Explain exactly what you dislike about the very well engineered Kip Springer tensioner. I have over 2000 trouble free miles of use from mine and the original spring is still working fine.

karryhunt

Apr 17, 2010
South Florida...brrr
Ask any qualified engineer. Show him your spring setup and see what he says.
Just because it works does not make it the best way.
I showed the Kip Springer tensioner to my neighbor who by the way is a mechanical engineer for NASA. His statement exactly, its looks nicely done with the solid mounting to the case and 100% better than the "suicide tensioner" that came with your kit.

Just because you're a tool and can perform miracles on the cheap does not mean everyone else can do the same with good results.

There's not a doubt in my mind that if you took a poll on what causes the most problems in setting up a motorbike, the rag joint and "suicide tensioner" would be pretty close to the top of the list.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Whatever. I disagree with your tone acting like you NEED these parts or you will die.
No matter what you tell me, I know spring tensioners are a poor solution in any setup that has variable speeds and loads. Over 30 years in all types of industrial power transmission repairs tell me you are misguided. If your sprocket is so well centered, why does it need a spring anyway?