vague thread titles

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i don't know about the rest of you, but posting threads with titles like "help!" or "doesn't run!" or "what do you think?" or "have you seen this?" bugs me.

it'd be nice if you guys would be a little more specific.

like, " new skyhawk gt5 won't start" or "help with nt carb overflowing" or " have you seen this brand x exhaust pipe," or "is this $89 toy store bike gonna work with an 212cc four stroke?"

you can post more than a 3 word, non-descriptive title.

it'll help you get a quick answer from people who've already been there.

and for god's sake, use the search function!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
...jus' as a BTW - as members are unable to edit thread titles, if you ever wish to change or correct the title to a thread you've created, please do feel free to message any of the staff and we'd be happy to help.

Just remember to include a link to your thread & what you'd like the title to be ;)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Here's my favorite "title", although it was an e-mail...

"Boked my moeter".

The body of the e-mail went on to explain that he tweaked his carb until he ran the engine too lean and destroyed it...

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
watch it guys I've already had a few post deleted on this type of content
maybe the owners here should take a tip from craigslist and the LAW.
public forum right? you decide which posts stay up and come down
that makes you legally responsible for ALL content left up
that's why craigslist instituted a community flag option
and I find it hilarious that the only time I've been thanked here for a post
by other members admin decided to delete it LOL
my pet peeve is spelling, are we all 6th graders, they even give you the
option of spell check, how easy is that? and yet!!!!!

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Nice "grammer", Desert Rat. ;)

Yep, Baird...I totally agree. I just found out recently that if you're using a mouse, you can hover-over the subject-box on the list and a tool-tip context box thingy will pop-up showing you the first few lines of text in the post. It's very convenient to determine what's in a vaguely titled post without having to over-exert oneself with a mouse-click, and loss of one's groove.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
This has been on my mind since the day I found this website. Some of you know that I learned to use the internet so that I could join this forum. It's easy enough to navigate, and as a source of information, this place is fantastic! The biggest problem I've had is directly accessing specific information. Even after I learned to use the search function:)
I've been trying to come up with a suggestion to help out. All I can think of is that Dan, Tom or some other poor fella has to briefly review every post, and 'mark' it in some way, from a list of pre-chosen descriptives that would categorize it more appropriately.
The only example I can think of off the top of my head is my post "The $50 Cruiser gets drafted". That would get 'marked' as "completed motor assisted bicycle photo".
This would allow for the creation of an 'index' of sorts, that anyone could access, and then search the term (remember that 'mark'?) that interests them, and get all there is on it.
Did I over complicate that? Most likely, but you get what my idea is...

(And let me not let myself off the hook here, I've done this too. Sorry. It is super frustrating that I can't edit the title of my own post!)

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I mostly agree with the OP and also those who want good spelling and grammar in the threads.

But I'd also recommend tolerance. It's just not as easy for some as it is for others. (Broken educational system? Maybe.) And, yes, there are threads in here that are worthless because of lack of communication skills. Some of those posters fade away because they can not give or get anything useful. Yet I'd still rather that they were welcome to try.

And I agree that people ought to search and read threads in order to get their info without posting a new thread that covers some very old ground. At least I think that folks with any smarts will do this. But if we insist on that too much, then this will cease to be a forum and will instead become a static information database.

So...to all those who can't use punctuation or can't even spell the word "bike", come on in anyway. I'll try to help. If you get zero answers, then you might have to figure out your troubles on your own. Or you could work on improving your communication and info-gathering skills.

But you're welcome here all the same. At least according to me.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Well said Bgoat.

Really bothers me when new folks get hassled for spelling, grammar or even not knowing how or to use search.

Seen some really cool and fun members stop posting due to being made to feel dumb. Many had some great stuff to offer even if it was only their good company.

Way, way back some one asked Paul (our host) if we should stop/delete duplicate subjects. I'm paraphrasing here but his answer was "No, I don't want to curtail any one's thoughts or suggest that they not feel free and comfortable to post" I really like that about "here" The main rule and the one that all others revolve around is "show respect to all members"

I have always thought that is an awesome M.O. and words to live by.

It really drives me insane when when someone jumps on some one else for trivial things like spelling or not being tech savvy. This ain't English or internet 101 class.

Most especially when new folks are getting "directed"

I mostly agree with the OP and also those who want good spelling and grammar in the threads.

But I'd also recommend tolerance. It's just not as easy for some as it is for others. (Broken educational system? Maybe.) And, yes, there are threads in here that are worthless because of lack of communication skills. Some of those posters fade away because they can not give or get anything useful. Yet I'd still rather that they were welcome to try.

And I agree that people ought to search and read threads in order to get their info without posting a new thread that covers some very old ground. At least I think that folks with any smarts will do this. But if we insist on that too much, then this will cease to be a forum and will instead become a static information database.

So...to all those who can't use punctuation or can't even spell the word "bike", come on in anyway. I'll try to help. If you get zero answers, then you might have to figure out your troubles on your own. Or you could work on improving your communication and info-gathering skills.

But you're welcome here all the same. At least according to me.

Trey, that is so dang awesome Brodder!

In developing and shaping the forum, it was for folks like you.

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I'm speechless...

dnut

Here are 2 vaque thread titles on this page as I post, and it's nothing against the posters that made them, it's just a for instance: 1) welp finally and 2) video.

I don't get to interested in titles like this as it doesn't need to be a quessing game. I'm sure some of my posts have vaque titles, but I'll do it intensionally :D

Last edited:

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
...jus' as a BTW - as members are unable to edit thread titles, if you ever wish to change or correct the title to a thread you've created, please do feel free to message any of the staff and we'd be happy to help.

Just remember to include a link to your thread & what you'd like the title to be ;)
I changed mine no problem. I just hit edit, then go advanced, and I can change it right at the top where it says Title. For example in the hybrid section, my thread "7500 mpg bike project?" used to say "12000 mpg bike project?" but I changed it after recalculating.

EDIT: apparently I cant change it now, perhaps you can only change it BEFORE someone else replies?

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
To take the reverse side.....Over the years I have started a lot of wandering bs type threads meant only as entertainment. Do all thread have to have a specific audience now.

I have a thread up now that has run from a three wheel 16" friction drive scooter make from a two wheeled bike to a 20" rear wheeled scooter and 26inch front wheel hub motor and friction drive all built on the same frame. It title is my mobility scooter. That's really not at all descriptive just whimsical. The thread is whimsical as well, just a chance to say what ever you come up with in the evolution of your bike, you are not alone. there is always someone just as weird as you. Also a chance to say Ebikes can be fun it is all about chocolate pies and lithium crystals. Beam me up Scotty

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
my intent with this thread was for people looking for help. if your bike won't run and you post "help mw!" followed by a vague description in the thread it takes 5 replies before you find what kinda engine theguy has so we can help.

if you wanna post a rambling, fun thread i'm cool with that. :)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Kioshk said it clearly. If you're unsure about a thread title just mouse over it and a brief snap-shot of the first few words of the thread will usually give you an idea of what the thread is about.

I rely on the 'New Post' page almost exclusively to do my job. I pull it up and read down the list of the most recent threads. Any that have vague titles I mouse them and get an idea of what's happening there. Takes a half second. In fact even long detailed titles are sometimes misleading.

Tom

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Title: What do you think of my Predator 212cc build? To not be vague, it's built into a Felt beachcruiser frame. Who really cares? Again, who really cares?

No pictures, but let your imagination go wild!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I find it difficult to read posts with very bad spelling, punctuation or grammar. Sometimes it honestly makes my eyes hurt when trying to, and I'll stop reading a post if its not easy enough for me to read. I dont admonish anyone because its not my place. But its also not my job to figure out what other people mean when they can't type properly. No, this aint english or internet class, but people may want to realize that if there posts are not legible, they may not get as many responses. No one is perfect and I get that. But there is a big difference between making a few mistakes or not knowing how to spell certain words, and a post that is totally ineligible. If you are posting from a device that has auto-correct, disable it. I've had auto correct make a few typos for me. Sorry but thats my $0.02.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
ever since i got this new phone all my posts have spelling errors. it's almost impossible to go back and correct something without messing up the whole post, so i usually don't bother.

but if it's so bad that the average guy can't figure it out, i just cancel it.