highest speed limit to ride in

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
my modified china will do 45+. i ride in traffic all the time. some streets around here are wide open, and a 45mph limit means nothing to cars, so they'll do 60... those times i stay in the bike lane.

basically, if i can keep up with traffic without being in the way or run down, i'll ride in it. safely, of course...

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
what ever feels comfortable. sometimes i got at 35, other times i just do 25 or so. really with how my mood is that day, and how nice it is outside :p

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
About the only streets I can ride the speed limit safely on are residential streets (25MPH). My bike will charge up to 33 or 34 easily, but hitting 35 or 36MPH means I need to duck really low and have a lot of room. Hopefully no headwind.

OTOH, 25MPH is really easy for my bike, it sounds completely unstressed at that speed. Once my engine passes 6K RPM (30MPH), it doesn't sound quite as happy, and it has to work really hard at 33+.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I ride on 55 MPH country roads with no bike lane occasionally. These roads have little traffic though, so I really don't worry about getting whacked. Just stay on the right side going about 20.

MotoMan

Feb 15, 2012
Iowa
My range is 30-40 but it depends on the person and bike. You can't exactly go 50 in the city very often!

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
I usually keep the tach around 3600 - 4000, high 20's I guess(4 stroke) everything is nice and quiet, no vibes. Unfortunately, the roads up here dictate speed more than my willingness to freeze my butt off, frost heaves as they call 'em, smooth as silk in the summer.

Mac

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
I ride residential streets all the time even if it takes me 3 miles out of the way. If I have to travel a major street its on the side walk with complete respect for peds. Cars have 0 respect for bikes and it just takes 1 to ruin your day.

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
Intown here the limit is 30MPH. I'll ride on the road with traffic in 30and below but any higher than a 30MPH speed limit ,I'm on the shoulder pronto.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
I ride residential streets all the time even if it takes me 3 miles out of the way. .
AGREED Bandito, whats our mileage, rough figures, anyone ? lol
I'm only out on major roadways if there is no alternate route an I try to make that short an sweet .
Gary.trk