Why Helmets are important. Your story

GoldenMotor.com

isthisreal1991

Oct 21, 2011
upstate NY
i read alot on the threat about people accidents with there motorbikes anyone have any stories or pics to share about how grateful they were wearing a helmet?

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
you ever hit the dirt at 20 or even 30 mph an rap your head , I have riden dirt bikes an done just that at that those speeds an maybe more , brother let me tell you my brains belong in my head not spilled on the ground just for wanting to have some fun !

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The law requires dot approved helmets here as well. I have two but they are heavy and clumsy and I ride bikes, that look like bikes with helper motors. That being the case I decided to wear bicycle helmets and say oops if I got pulled. Nobody plans to have the bike fall over at twenty five miles an hour.

Mine did, at the bottom of a hill on a Sunday afternoon in August I had the motor lifted off the wheel and was coasting downhill. I got almost to the bottom and thought, I need to drop the motor onto the wheel.

I honestly can not say what happened next. What I can tell you is that I woke with 6 broken ribs and my clavicle broken badly enough to need surgery. I was pretty miserable for a few weeks, but I did not skin my head or get a fracture of any kind there.

I found out later that the bike helmet got scraped and the plastic skin got scratched and broken, so it obviously got hit. How much it saved me from I can't say, but I can say this. I never leave home without it's replacement. My bikes top out at about 15mps which is about the speed of a bicycle with a good rider, so I feel comfortable with the bike helmet as long as it isn't a car running into me. If it is I have my will drawn.

mbuna420

Oct 9, 2010
Oregon
I went down at about 20, the bike slid out from under me I cracked some ribs dislocated my shoulder broke my motor and put a large scratch into my helmet that I am sure would have been a cracked skull if not for the helmet

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Stories? Many from the old days but the most recent and motorized bike related was just a couple of months ago.

My first post in this topic about it:
---

I went for a beautiful Phoenix noon time ride up North Mountain to the local MB shop that just opened a couple of months ago.
Nice guy and decent bikes.
So I headed home and was on my way back down the mountain in the bike lane here coming towards the camera.

I was cruising along about 35MPH on my Caddy Shifter bike downhill where the upper blob of blue is.

There was a van there where that silver car under the appropriately named Collision Center sign in the pic is, turning right.

I was back 50 yards or so when he pulled out but I was watching him pull his bone head stunt and put on the brakes to slow down some and give him room.

I was about 20' behind him doing ~20 when he pulled bone head stunt two.
He just turned right again into the parking lot across my bike lane with this.

Thankfully he wasn't at a 90 degree angle to me, ~45 degrees when I hit the van I guess, and I had driveway to the right.
I just laid on the brakes more and turned to hit him broadside best I could.

The blue ovals are the marks I left on the van as I careened off it to the ground face first just inside the parking lot.

I didn't get up this time, and when the driver asked if I was OK, my response was a long stream of colorful words ending in NO!

Going into more details about this here is not in my best interest so just suffice it to say I rode home and still here but *after note: I did get a $1500 cash settlement ;-}

That, and I am going to need a new helmet, gloves, and glasses.
I won't be getting the same sunglasses with the sun shield across the bridge of my nose this time. I'll have a couple of black eyes in the morning and look like I got beat up because of them.

My poor knees and elbows, they just can't seem to get a break either.
----

Do I think the law should tell me to wear one? **** no!
I take test rides on bikes around the block in my residential area most every day and I don't always gear up for that.

I do however gear up for any other rides, always, I keep my helmet, gloves and glasses right by the door.
I also turn my front light on flash for every ride especially in broad daylight.
If I would have done that for my wreck there wouldn't have been a wreck.

What really irks me safety wise is people that think flip-flops and sandals are OK to wear for riding, and even worse they are usually the ones that want to ride really fast and only have a crappy coaster brake to stop.

I am all for letting 66cc motors and a 30MPH speed limit be legal here, I even have an on-line petition to actually submit it in January here Petition for Change to AZ RS 28-2516 and it does have some practical safety measures for that scarey 20-30MPH speed difference in current law.

Be smart, protect yourself and ride safe, and please sign my petition.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
KC, glad you weren't seriously injured. I appreciate your enthusiasm for legislative activism and do not intend this in any way to be snarky or mean spirited but you gotta be aware that your own story above is a poster child for NOT increasing any speed limit for MABs.
Playing devil's advocate, it could be said if you were doing 20 you might have avoided the collision.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Good to hear you weren't hurt badly KC.

As far as myself, I grew up riding motorcycles so the habit of wearing a helmet has always been there. Too many close calls to not have learned by now to wear a helmet. There is no helmet laws where I live, but still. It's not yourself that you have to worry about, it's the other drivers on the road and road conditions that you have to be on look out for.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Playing devil's advocate, it could be said if you were doing 20 you might have avoided the collision.
Perhaps, I wound not even be up the back side of the hill at 20MPH and nowhere near him.

The thing is I anticipated him pulling out in front me and slowed down to about 15MPH when he started to pull out to match his pull out speed so I didn't pass him on the right while he increased his speed in my posted and lined bike lane.

With my good dual brakes I only hit him at about 5MPH but that was enough to put me down hard, but not hard enough to even hurt the bike at all and I rode it home.

Just like in a car on a 2 lane road when the driver in the left lane ahead of you hits the brakes and turns across your lane to turn right, there just isn't anything you can do to avoid it.

Therein I think lies an inherent danger with all bicycle lanes on major roads for anyone, motorized or not.
Most drivers don't check their mirror for someone in the bike lane like they would a car lane, and when you are dealing with a driver that doesn't even signal it is risky at ANY speed, hence why I never let any bike out of my shop without 2 brakes.

It is always risky to use any roadway to travel even on foot in a crosswalk, but one thing is for sure for me anyway, when I want to get from here to there I need to make the trip in a reasonable amount of time, and I 'gear up' for my bodily safety.
At 52 years old my body doesn't recover like it used to ;-}

For you young guys, trust me on this one thing...
Every single major injury you have and seem to recover from quickly will come back to haunt you when you get old.
Be smart, Protect Your Body at all times!

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
My motorcycle 3/4 helmet was almost brand new when I hit the foundation pillar.

At that time, I did not have an access card to enter the parking structure. Its entrance was at the bottom of a steep ramp, and I had to wiggle the bike and my body around the end of the long entrance arm. While throttling, I lost control and hit the pillar. It was just a few feet from the arm, and I hit it square.

No injuries, not even a headache.dance1

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I only had a bike helmet when I was in my accident with a Ford F-150, the owner of which did not observe me as I was going straight through a green light and decided it was okay to turn left - thus broadsiding me at a decent rate of speed. I came to in Wishard hospital with a shattered lower left leg, cracked pelvis, broken tailbone, and numerous lacerations, dislocations, and some deep bruising. For about the first day or two, the morphine drip wasn't helping much. But that helmet had a nice crack in it. The doctor seemed to have no doubt that it served a very important purpose. Neither of us could say for certain that it saved my life, but we both agree that I was better off having worn it.

That was August 16th, 2010. Side story: still fighting the other fellow's insurance company over a settlement on my claim. They've been qestioning the validity and necessity of nearly everything. I've given signed and notarized proxy for the pulling of my medical records. I've sent copies of my bills. I've continued to go above and beyond what they've asked. My lawyer and I have recently filed suit outright. I'm aware of how stalling tactics are often used in court to drag this sort of thing out almost indefinitely in the hope that the other party will be worn down. But my lawyer only gets paid if I win, so we plan to fight pretty hard. In short, it's far better if you can avoid an accident any way possible. If not, I'd wear a helmet. My new one is a DOT approved motorcycle helmet.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
I only had a bike helmet when I was in my accident with a Ford F-150,
Was this on a motored bike? Man, that is some tough sledding you went through, I'm surprised you want to get back on one.

My wife got hit riding a bicycle by a flatbed work truck, knocked to the ground and tumbled down an embankment. She was wearing a helmet and that saved head injury but she had serious damage to a disc in the neck, dislocated shoulder, broken rib, cuts and abrasions. She did 8 months of PT and is still not right. Even though this was March 2010 and the driver was cited for careless driving, the insurance company dragged out every possible stalling tactic they could muster paying medical expenses and damages and tried every ploy to insinuate it was her fault. It took 19 months for them to settle. They only really respond after the lawyer files suit. Hang in there.

Last edited:

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
For you young guys, trust me on this one thing...
Every single major injury you have and seem to recover from quickly will come back to haunt you when you get old.
Be smart, Protect Your Body at all times!
Ain't that the truth... When I got the bike knocked out from under me I landed on my back. I was spinning so I tucked my arms and legs in because I could see the car that hit me still moving and all I could think of was not getting a hand or foot run over. Nothing broken, but the bruising was deep and took a long time to work out. It would stiffen up so badly I couldn't sit for more than a half hour or stand up for the same. It's still the area that I get sharp pains in first when I'm hitting my limit for lifting, etc. a year and a half later.
I was a cross-country runner in my school days. Twisted my ankles more than a few times, had a few major twists and worse with my knees. The Doc's would tell me to take it easy for a month, and I was always back at the next meet a week later and doing my part.
Thirtyish years later and the knees feel like they're filled with broken glass and metal machining waste if there are clouds on the horizon.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Was this on a motored bike?
Yep. It was on the first bike that I named Tempus (time flies!) based on a Micargi Huntington with a 2 stroke HT. That one bit the dust that day.

...tried every ploy to insinuate it was her fault. It took 19 months for them to settle. They only really respond after the lawyer files suit. Hang in there.
I was warned about that. They're just doing what they were hired to do: save the company money. If it means stalling, paying as little as possible, or getting the company out of paying at all, they consider it a success. You have to stand firm, even if it means lawsuit, until they come to realize that they will be forced to pay you. Then you need to haggle hard over the amount. I have one of the best lawyers in Indy, I think I'll be okay.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I havent crashed my motorized bike but ive crashed my motorcross bike and cracked and destroyed 2 helmets (both times unconcious, 1 of those times was a ambulance ride) so i know they save lives.

However i read a very interesting article, and this is probably more apllicable to bicycle helmets, that questioned the use or safety of helmets worn by bicycle riders.

They did a study where they monitored the distance car drivers gave bicyle riders. And they found that car drivers gave a greater berth (cant recall the exact distance but it was significant) to bicyle riders without helmets.

They also mentioned all the injuries caused by deflection of the helmet causing neck injuries and such from wearing a helmet.

They also mentioned that riders wearing helmets usually take greater risks as they feel protected.

In Australia we have to wear helmets by law to ride a bicycle, and since they brought that law in ive noticed a great decline in the number of bicycle riders, particuarly among the elderly

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
That's some interesting things to know.. That's very odd but makes sense I guess. I think the safety of bike riding is dependent on your location and yourself. I almost hit a car being a dumbo. One evening I was biking home, it was dark out and I don't have a front reflecter or flashlight. I was goin fairly quick not using my handlebars and a black SUV started to turn and I didn't notice till we both noticed at just about the same time and I did some quick maneuvers and he skid his tires around. Got my heart pumpin. Gotta learn our lessons somehow, luckily I didn't have to learn it the hard way..

I don't wear a helmet with my regular bike riding (not mb) to school. This place is also extremely bike friendly though. Tooons of bikers here. When I start riding the m.b. I was thinking of wearing my snowboarding helmet since I don't have a bike helmet. I'm wondering how different they are protection wise vs a regular bike helmet. But hey! It has speakers in its ear muff things :D

Keepin my ski goggles for when it snows too, they strap to the helmet well. I've already had difficulties keeping my eyes up from the sharp ice stabbing my eyes when goin however fast I go pedalling up and down the hill. They should work well :D