Tank Prep Media Question

GoldenMotor.com

GasX

Oct 7, 2011
Florida
I have seen numerous recommendations to shake some gravel in the stock kit tank before use to shake off any rust. Any thoughts on using a generous amount of Kosher salt? Abrasive, cheap and easily disposed of...

leadfarmer

Sep 30, 2011
VA
Wouldn't you have to use water to get it all out? Water seems like a bad thing to put in your tank. I just used BB's from Walmart. They are cheap, and you can tell when you have them all out.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
muratic acid is the answer here just be extreemly carefull with it , or concentrated aluminum cleaner also has a mild to strong acid in it , to neutralize the acid use a solution of baking soda water mixed very weak as it will create a gas you dont want to breathe , then into a 150 degree oven to rapid dry it out or simply let an air hose open in the tank to evaporate the moisture quickly . or go to a auto body supply store an purchase any good metal prep product they leave behind a zincphosphorus coating inside the tank when dry to prevent further rust developing .

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I used naval jelly and water to dissolve the rust. Sealed off the openings with duct tape and shook and checked until the rust was gone. Then a thorough water rinse followed by a rinse with isopropal alcohol to dry out all the water.

Then I sealed it with POR 15 so I wouldn't have to worry about bad welds.

So far, so good. No leaks, no sediment in my visable fuel filter.

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
I really don't see why water is such a bad thing, rinse it out thoroughly and wait for it to dry. What would really happen if few drops of water gets into the engine while running?

GasX

Oct 7, 2011
Florida
I was thinking a high tech leak test with coca cola followed by a few rubbing alcohol rinses would result in a clean dry and rust free tank. My eyeball test today showed a pretty clean tank, so I am not too worried about more aggressive measures...