What is a good helmet to buy?

GoldenMotor.com

BATMANG

Aug 9, 2011
State College, PA
I'm getting ready to build my first motorized bicycle and I was wondering what a good budget helmet would be? I know motorcycle helmets are probably the best option, but they can get pretty expensive. The whole operation is on a tight budget for me. Haha.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
DOT approved helmets for motorcycles are the rule in most states. Having just had a close encounter with the ground I suggest you get one that is Dot approved. I bought one used on ebay not long ago that was pretty cheap like twenty bucks I think.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I have a Nutcase 8 ball bicycle helmet that cost $50. Walmart has some that look very similar to it for about $10.

margaretbrent123

Aug 15, 2011
Sully, IA
I agree with the post above, you need to look for DOT approval. After all, there is no one-size-fits all approach to picking the best motorcycle helmet. But a DOT approval is certified to be of good quality and can actually deliver the protection you need. Also, refrain from focusing solely on the price, since most of the time you end up with a low quality helmet.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
If you don't have the money, something is better than nothing. Even a bicycle "insectoid" helmet is better than nothing. I buy second hand stuff and have four or five of different types for different conditions. In the summer it is a lighter helmet with goggles. In the spring or fall when it is a little cooler I use my 'expensive' one which has a face shield that folds down to cut out bugs or whatnot hitting my face and making my eyes tear up with cool weather. That one is a Harley and cost me a whopping twelve bucks at an auction. The one I wear in the winter is actually a snowmobile helmet and keeps my head warm while offering protection. Five bucks at a yard sale. Most important is to wear something to protect your head. I already have one traumatic brain injury from lightning, I don't need another from banging my head on asphalt. Ouch. Stay safe...
SB

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
frozenveins,
You asked about the lightning. The other online group I'm a member of is for lightning survivors. There are quite a few of us worldwide.
I operated a small fishing resort in north easterm Minnesota at the time... June of 1995. On a clear day out of a small, dark cloud bank a good ten miles away a single bolt of lightning struck at the resort and traveled through the ground and via a telephone into my left ear, exiting between my eyes, out the forehead and crown, leaving behind bleeding burns. It caused a traumatic brain injury, briefly stopped my heart so I was technically dead for a bit, unconscious for several hours and majorly screwed up my life. But I lived and to some degree recovered, quite a lot actually even though I'm disabled with a good bit of nerve damage. It pretty well cooked the front lobe of my brain with the microwave component of lightning energy, which is full band... light, sound, electric, microwave, infrared and whatever else there is. I have some cognitive difficulties especially with memory, but can read and write again. Have some trouble with partial paralysis in my feet and lower legs from Guillane Barre Syndrome (like polio) which probably had to do with the lightning damaged nervous system. That said, I don't think about it a lot, but try to help other survivors cope with the inevitable changes that come. For me it led to loss of the resort, my marriage and being kind of poor in the money sense. But I'm rich in other ways and have been aware of that this morning, being Thanksgiving... you know, counting your blessings and all. I lost in the physical realm, but gained in the spiritual. I have this forum and the friends I've made here and i have my good friend Aaniimoosh the Wonder Dog. I also have cool bike projects to work on and the great joy which comes from ridin' me motorbike with the dog in tow... woohoo! How rich is that?
SB