An install Kit for the Schwinn Jaguar

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Hi Guys,

The prototype installation kit for the Schwinn Jaguar has been shipped to MB monkey. This kit will undoubtedly fit on other models, but I have not had time to find out for sure.

He will install it, and test it. There are more components that will be added to the final kit, once any bugs are ironed out in the prototype.

I tested the Clutch actuator kit for a month before I offered it for sale. The Jag kit will go the same route. It may not require as much time, as MB rides a lot. I simply do not have the time to test this kit, so MB will be your source for all questions about the functionality and quality of the parts during the test phase. If any component proves to be sub-par, it will of course be corrected. Normally I would not consider allowing an outside test of a prototype. I've got to manufacture engines. I'm confident MB will do this correctly.

The kit as shipped to MB includes: (Photo below)

1) A motor mount set-up that is correct for the Jaguar frame.
2) A Sprocket adapter & 42 tooth sprocket
3) Our clutch actuator kit
4) A copper exhaust gasket
5) Our port matched straight through intake
6) A packet of quality electrical connectors
7) A packet of hardware to mount the CDI (The machine screws supplied with the kit are not long enough...they should also be installed using nylocks).
8) A proper ball bearing chain tensioner with a mount that corrects for the off angle of the chain stay.

The final kit will include:

1) Numerous additional hardware bits for a clean installation.
2) A dual pull/Dual action brake lever
3) 90-120 Durometer Mounts
4) A really good installation manual with numerous tips on tuning.

The kit photos show solid spacers. The 90-120 durometer mounts have yet to arrive...I did not want MB to have to wait any longer. As soon as they arrive I will test them here and then ship a set to MB for a longevity test.

I tested this with 60 durometer mounts. While perfectly acceptable in general, they are a bit too soft during acceleration. These mounts completely nix the vibrations from the engine and make for a real nice ride.

I have got to get the new engines going...please allow MB to test this kit and keep everyone posted. I do not have a final price for this kit. The individual components will be available for purchase separately.

Thanks to all of you for your support of my shop...it is truly appreciated.

Jim

Attachments

Last edited:

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
I accept your challenge sir and we shall see who is riding the bus in the end! This concept started last November with the idea that the kit would be ready by Jan 30th. Well a little of this and a little of that and here it finally goes into testing.

I am proud to put this kit thru the test as most of you know I live in the Las Vegas Valley and it is a torture zone for anything motorized. It's dirty and dusty with lots of bike lanes and paths to test on. I have plans to take the bike up to the mountain trails thru the area parks to get some data on hill performance.

I will be making this build without any special tools no shop and in the living room of my 1 bedroom apartment. Just to show it can be done by anyone that can follow directions and a little help from the forum.

My next post will be about the starting point and the parts I have chosen to go with the kit. Be well for now stay tuned same monkey time same monkey thread!

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Thanks Guys,

The chain tensioner thing has always been a source of annoyance for the builds I've done here at the shop. I usually put the kit piece in a vise and use an adjustable wrench to tweak it a bit so that the roller tracks true to the chain.

On the Jaguar, the chain stay tube is 5 degress off parallel to the chain, so I milled the 5/8" slots at a 5 degree angle. The roller now tracks perfectly for this bike.

This bike does not have deep slots in the drop-outs, Brett has been teaching me bike terminology. :D
Soooo...There is no way to adjust the rear wheel so that the chain can be pre-tensioned.

Long story made short...for this bike it becomes a specific combination of links removed from the chain vs. the number of teeth on the sprocket.

I did not try a 44 tooth, as I wanted to end up at 40. With 2 links removed from the kit chain; the chain was too slack for the 40. Had I removed the next link, the chain would not have fit. I made a 41 tooth...still a bit too much slack for my liking. 42 ended up good. I had planned on removing the next link to see what the next sprocket size, down, would be. I didn't have time, but i'm thinking 38 maybe 39.

As soon as I get the engines done, (which will give MB time to test), I will finish off this kit and make 50 or so.

I think this is going to be a real benefit to those just getting started in MB's. Due to all of the different geometries from one manufacturer to the next, it is virtually impossible to make an inexpensive "universal" kit. Even this bike is built with different components. For someone new with limited experience, and very few tools...I think this kit will be a "must have" if the builder is considering a beach cruiser style bike.

Jim

Last edited:

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
MB WARS Episode I - The Phantom Build

A long time ago in a state far far away......

In the early days of the MB republic lurked a dark force plaguing the land of motor bikes. How does a newbie build their first bike without any issues. Thus the idea was born, a easy install kit designed for an easily acquired "superstore" bicycle. Weeks and weeks of R & D went into the concept and polls were taken to decide what bike to use and finally the Schwinn Jaguar won the popular vote. From that day forward the Manic Mechanic was elected "Grand Machinist".....

Bike: Schwinn Jaguar Stock from Target
Motor: Dax F50 China Girl Kit 49.cc Milkshake Maker
Install Kit: Manic Mechanic Jaguar Install Kit Prototype

I went over the bike from head to toe making sure the wheels were straight and true also that all the bolts were tight and the brakes adjusted. Now i believe i am starting with a good bike well put together.

I inspected my DAX Kit and everything looks great even grade 8 replacement hardware and large tube motor mounts were included in the kit. I have bought a few kits from different

vendors and the THATSDAX kit is the best so far. Quality parts all the way thru.

I ordered a few parts from SICKBIKEPARTS.COM such as a chain breaker, a high performance spark plug and wire and a 49cc upgraded head gasket. although these are not needed for the Jag Kit I deemed them necessary for my build.

I also ordered a White wire light kit from NORMAN with the read led tail light to wire into the build as well. Very good looking housing and well built light thanks norm.

3:30 PM PST 5-09-09 the kit just arrived USPS in fantastic. I unpacked the kit and
everything is great.Awsome job on creating these high quality parts. I received everything as instructed. And now the fun begins.

The next post will entail the assembly of the engine parts into the Manic Mechanic Kit.

Stay tooned same monkey time same monkey build thread

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
MB WARS Episode II The Head Bolts Strike Back

I've unpacked a few things and got out my Sick Bike Parts 49cc Head Gasket and the ThatsDax
F50 49cc motor. Before i can start to assemble the motor into the mount I had decided on this build to change the head gasket to a better one. I ordered te head gasket on Sunday afternoon online with paypal and the parts showed up on wed here in Las Vegas.

I broke out my brand new $24.00 USD 1/4" rachet set and grabbed a deep welled 10mm socket and the ratchet. Cracked loose all four of the head bolts then turned them off with the included driver. I collected a nut a lock washer and a flat washer off of each stud and set
them aside. Next i removed the head plate to reveal the piston chamber and the stock gasket.

Upon trying to remove the stock gasket it bent making it unusable. I picked up the SBP
gasket and felt how much better quality it was it slid right onto the head bolts making a
great gasket seal. I inspected the piston and the chamber and found it looking great. I placed the head back onto the bolts and made sure the Jugg was tight and then reassembled by
putting a flat washer then a lock washer then the nut on each stud. When reaching the last
stud it was mangled the threads were not straight but after some work it got the nut on straight and continued. I tightened the nuts down by hand until snug then put the ratch on
each one in a star patterned until tight.

Next I installed the Upgraded air intake. Wow what can i say about a perfectly machined
piece. The stock gasket is not ported to match it as i am building stock plus the kit but
its a great piece. Short and straight on a 2 stroke is a great combination for torque. I
took out the intake from the package and removed the stock intake and bolts by removing the
outer nuts 1 on each side and a lock washer from each side. Then i used the small pliers to
take out the stock mounting studs. Next i held the new intake in place and put in the included mounting Allen heads. one side would not go in properly as my motor has a short thread set so i added the lock washers back on and it fit and tightened directly to the motor no air leak there guaranteed.

Finally i put the clutch kit on wow very easy to install. It was a bit confusing and as this was a prototype i got a bit lost but a quick call to the Manic Mechanic Jim and i was all straight. I removed the 3 bolts holding the stock clutch actuator on and set it aside it will no longer be used. Next i checked the movement of the new clutch arm and it needed a longer pin so i pulled the stock one out with a small pair of pliers and inserted one of the included longer pins. I then inserted the new Allen head bolts included in the kit back into the new housing and tightened them in snug to the case. Then i replaced the stock clutch cable guide with the included stubby version to clear the carb to get mounted later.

Now as a last step i removed the stock motor mount studs from the front and back by running a second nut on top of the first then removing the whole stud from the engine case. The motor is ready for mounting so this concludes this episode.

Tune in to Episode III Same monkey time same monkey thread!

Attachments

Hill of Beans

Dec 22, 2008
Georgetown, SC
Hey Jim,
Is the kit going to be in one box, or the parts shipped and charged seperately???
Just kidding!!
Beautiful work as usual, and always worth the wait.
At least now,,,we can get impatient with MB Monkey.
Can't wait to place my orders.

Last edited:

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
Well i went to the doc today to find out that i had actually been shot 3 times in Iraq i only knew of 2 but in fact i took a round right at the tailbone from behind and it has formed scar tissue and inflammation. However I am on the mend already feeling somewhat better. Thanks for understanding and the MB wars shall be continued shortly