Anyone took their bike to college?

GoldenMotor.com

ballinchestr

Mar 6, 2014
Central MA
I'm going off to college next year, and I'm thinking of bringing my bike. I think it'd be cool to pedal on campus and use the motor to explore off campus. Has anyone done this? Would you advise it / against it?

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
I'd do it only if you have a place to lock it up where it's not going to get touched. I keep my bike in my apartment and I don't ever lock it up outside. It's strictly only outside when it's in my site. Too many stupid people out there.

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
My wife takes her bike to her campus when its warm outside and its about a 6 mile ride. Where I'm from its legal to use your motor anywhere a regular mountain bike can be. So yes she drives it on campus to her class. You really should consider using a lock because some people steal.

We personally went out and made our own lock. Just ask around and you will find someone with a lot of chain. Also locks are cheap. So, Taylor sowed up a cloth guard around our donated chain to protect paint and we used an old lock to complete our free motorbike security system.

But, tbh we have never used it here in Maine. I work on a heavily armed secure military base and Tay works one on one with people at private homes with cameras and garages.

Last edited:

ajoh

Mar 21, 2014
australia
cylon old inner tube works extremely well as a chain sock too just zip tie the ends in place .....

as for your bike on campus i don't know but think about locking gas cap too...........

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
cylon old inner tube works extremely well as a chain sock too just zip tie the ends in place .....

as for your bike on campus i don't know but think about locking gas cap too...........
Yeah I guess but we own a sewing machine its much better and nicer to use fabric.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I'm actually a staff-member at a college in NY, and I use my ride as a daily commuter. Mobos aren't legal here, and our campus police are certified NYS cops. They NEVER give me a problem though. I ride respectfully to the pedestrians and use common sense. We have some great bike-paths on campus as well. I'm in my 40s, so maybe I pass for "mature" (even on this thing!) and can get away with it. It's a dream-commute; I ride right up to my building's entrance, which has a bike-rack and overhang right at the door. No locking it up either. I know students can get into mischief (I sure did) but I think they are grown-up enough to know that not only would they face arrest for pilfering it, they'd also face expulsion. I say go for it! Just don't ride like a sexual-organ.

motoringbike

Jan 28, 2014
CDN
Go electric, yescomusa.com, em3ev.com, ebikes.ca, Lunacycle in Washington. All you need is 1000 watt motor. Most expensive part will be batteries but you can take that off. Take the wheel with you too. Easily done. Endless Sphere forums is where you need to go.

Those Univ./Colleges wont allow noisy gas bicycles on their property, silent electric bicycle they will never know.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Go electric, yescomusa.com, em3ev.com, ebikes.ca, Lunacycle in Washington. All you need is 1000 watt motor. Most expensive part will be batteries but you can take that off. Take the wheel with you too. Easily done. Endless Sphere forums is where you need to go.

Those Univ./Colleges wont allow noisy gas bicycles on their property, silent electric bicycle they will never know.
I guess it just depends on the state and campus.

A light E-bike with gears is optimum here in AZ.
You can take it on the Bus and Light Rail, ride it around campus like a regular bike, pretty much everything you want.

motoringbike

Jan 28, 2014
CDN
All depends really, Geared motors are good but noisey and more moving parts. Direct Drive are better and you can over-power them. Geared motors you cant over-power them. If you want good hill climbing ability, go DD motor with a 17" MC rim. Leaf motor is good, 1500W then you can buy a Greentime controller that can handle 60A or more. But batteries cost money. So maybe a 36V is the way to go, low speed but up the amps.

mat_man

Jan 29, 2011
athens ga
At UGA, scooter parking is $120 per semester. Bicycle parking is free.
Free buses packed full.

Build a rack mount friction drive with a scissor lift.
1/4 mile from the bike rack, lift motor, throw a black bag over motor
and pedal to the rack.

motoringbike

Jan 28, 2014
CDN
Buses with bike racks, in BC every single bus has one. In Calgary, or Edmonton Alberta even the train replacement buses do not have racks, just a select few buses. Not very smart planning on the city's part. Pretty dumb actually. They spent millions on bike lanes downtown, taking away parking...... but bike racks.......OHHHH NOOOOO!!!!!!!! Dumb policiticans.