clutch problems

GoldenMotor.com

joelogger2

Apr 18, 2013
montana
so my clutch started slipping so i tightened the flower nut to tighten the pressure plate and ran out of adjustment on the clutch arm so i took some round stock and made a longer bucking bar so i can get some trow in the cluch arm canteven get the ****in thing to move or get the clutch to work im stumped and pissed offf in all the years ihv been runnin these things never come acrosseed something i couldnt fix please help:-||:-||:-||:-||

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if the pads are not worn out, I'd start by putting everything back the way it was and looking at it real closely - it may be that the arm needs to go a couple splines back on the shaft or the hub isn't seated deep enough on the shaft, or maybe the internal spring needs an adjust

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Increasing the length of the bucking bar only made the problem worse.

Take the advice given by Crassius and start by checking and cleaning the clutch friction pads. They're probably dirty or oil soaked.

Make sure the clutch cable is properly adjusted.

Here is a good tutorial on the proper way to adjust the clutch > http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=22726

Tom

Last edited:

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh
i had the same issue with mine and came to the conclusion that it had nothing to do with the bucking bar, pads or adjustment... it's simply with the amount that we use the clutch, specially for starts from a dead stop where the clutch actually spins the bucking bar, it wares out the sides of the clutch shaft to a point where the clutch arm simply pushes the bar to the side rather than into the shaft... it's a $5 fix for the new shaft from bike berry on ebay... not sure what they charge on their actual page... but i'm pretty sure that by replacing the shaft, then setting everything back to relatively stock settings, you should be good to go, i'll let you know for sure in a week or so when mine comes in... i too replaced the bucking bar as well as the cam due to the fact that they were completely worn out, but when replaced, the problem didn't go away, it actually seemed to get worse... that was when i pulled it all apart again (several times) on my ride home and realized that it was the walls of the shaft that had worn out almost 1/16" all the way around, so the bucking bar would NOT sit straight... i don't know if anyone else has had this issue or not, but as i said, i hardly ever pedal start aside from actually starting the motor... once it's running, i treat it like an actual motorcycle for starts, which leads to excessive ware on the shaft walls...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
This isn't common. It sounds to me as if you aren't lubricating the clutch actuating parts sufficiently. The cam in the cover, the bucking bar and the ball bearing all need to be greased periodically. Don't use oil but a good quality bearing grease on those parts.

You should get hundreds, more like thousands of miles on the parts in question if they're properly lubed.

Also you shouldn't 'slip' the clutch from dead stops. It isn't a motorcycle. You need to pedal up to speed, about 10 MPH before engaging the clutch. That will reduce clutch parts wear dramatically.

Tom

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I have been noticing a lot of slop in the covers where the clutch throwout shaft rotates on really high-mileage engines. The casting is showing wear so the hole is sloppier. But aside from being annoying, it does not affect much except cable adjustment so far.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I have been noticing a lot of slop in the covers where the clutch throwout shaft rotates on really high-mileage engines. The casting is showing wear so the hole is sloppier. But aside from being annoying, it does not affect much except cable adjustment so far.
That has been an issue for a long time. And not just on high milage engines. Some come new with excessive clearance in the cam and cover.

Several years ago a vendor who used to be a member here, tried to fabricate a bronze bushing for the cam/cover. His experience showed there wasn't enough material to bush the hole. His fix was to design a whole new cover and cam. It was a failure because of his use of inferior material.

I've heard of builders installing a rubber 'O' ring between the arm and the cover to reduce vibration and wear. I've had decent luck just assuring adequate lubrication at that point. A heavy grease seems to work.

Some might argue that using the infamous 'small spring' on the clutch cable will help eliminate excessive vibration and wear of the cover. The jury is still out on that one.

Tom

Last edited: