ive had a taste and i want more

GoldenMotor.com
Jan 12, 2015
Merced, California
i recently got my first kit and i have practically no skill or knowledge about mechanics, so it took me like a week to get it installed on my mountain bike with the members of this website holding my hand the whole way. i finally got the darn thing to run yesterday but this morning after a short ride it wouldnt start anymore. 2door and fatdaddy have been helping me with diagnostics (those guys are amazing. theyve helped me a bunch). and i think the problem is the ignition coil that came with the kit just wasnt good. i guess i'm mostly posting this to vent my frustration. after riding a motorized bike for the first time yesterday i want to be able to keep doing it. also my bike is my only mode of transportation so its rather frustrating that its not working well for me
zptscratg.spr.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
That's typical of these things. Especially on a new one.
It is a little unlikely that the cdi worked and then just quit like that. It is possible, but I'd look at some stuff first. I would check the wiring connections, especially at the mag coil and cdi. Make sure the blue wire is taped or heat shrunk at the connections or it will ground out on the frame and lose spark.
Pull the gas line off the carb and make sure a steady trickle of gas is coming down. Choke it and pedal for a second and check to see if your plug is getting wet. Ya gotta get the gas past the carb, too.
Good luck!

Last edited:

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
my motor was supplied to me without a half-moon key to hold the ten-tooth sprocket in place, it worked up until the grease warmed up, then the sprocket began to freewheel.

basically what I am saying it to make sure that the motor is turning when you try and start it the issue may be in your clutch. this can be done easily by removing the spark plug and turning the back wheel with the clutch engaged (handle let out) if your piston doesn't move you have a clutch problem.

and as always, Good Luck!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Actually it's the white wire that needs to be isolated. The blue is the primary ignition circuit. Just didn't want the OP to get confused.

Tom

Jan 12, 2015
Merced, California
ive got the white wire taped up. i have hear things about the blue wire being tricky though. i just did the trick where you hold the plug against the side of the motor and turn the wheel with the clutch engaged to see if you get a spark. no sparks here. so either my wire got messed up but they look ok, my spark plug is dead, or the ingnition coil is dead right?

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Since the blue wire carries positive pulses to the CDI it should be kept taped up good at connections so it doesn't short out against the frame, killing the spark.
The white should just be taped off even though it isn't used for the same reason.
Black is ground, blue is 'hot' for the ignition, white is isolated from everything.
captain zeldacoon- The spark plug boot on the end of the spark wire has a metal clip or spring looking contact for the spark plug tip. You should make certain it is on the spark plug right. They can seem connected when you press the boot down and still not make a good connection. There should be a little click or snap as it goes on right. You feel it more than hear it.

Jan 12, 2015
Merced, California
the little clip came out but i screwed it back in. that happened even before the bike worked successfully. as for the blue wire, its got a little rubber cover thing over where it connects. is that enough or am i supposed to have additional protection?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Captain,
You've started another thread covering the same problems. I moved it to the 'Troubleshooting' section from 'The Tavern'.

You'd be better off to keep your current issue in one place > http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=57907 so it continues to get coverage as opposed to posting in multiple areas of the forum.

How fast are you spinning the rear wheel when you're testing for spark? You might not see any ignition if the wheel is rotated slowly. It needs to spin pretty fast. Try suspending the bike so the rear wheel is off the floor and with the clutch engaged pedal the bike as fast as you can with your hand.

Make sure the spark plug wire is connected properly and that the wrench flats on the plug is in good contact with the cylinder head cooling fins.

As I told you in the other thread, the kit plug boot is notorious for bad electrical connections. It might work, and, it might not. You've already had problems with the boot and said that you've "fixed it". That makes me suspicious.

At your first opportunity replace that boot with a good one. Any auto parts store will have plug boots that have a metal snap-on connector that should provide a good electrical connection. You'll need a spark plug with the top cap installed and not the kit plug which relys on a connection to threads where the cap should be.

The push-on connectors on the blue and black wires are not the best. We typically suggest that those connections be soldered and protected with heat shrink tubing. I once had an engine that wouldn't fire and it was discovered that the connector was crimped onto the blue wire insulation and not the conductor. This probably isn't your problem because your engine did start and run, if only for a short time.

Although it is mentioned a lot, (I've only had one in many years that was defective), but the kill switch can apparently also give you problems. You might want to try the ignition test with the kill switch wires disconnected from the blue and black wire.

Tom